The call for the Land Army

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This thread reminds me for some reason of reading Orwells 'A Clergymans Daughter'..the hardships yet the sense of belonging in a typical farm labourers life in maybe the 1930s. I must revisit it.

I've got five, capable, and personable adults 'trapped' on the farm with me..

It's great - we're cruising through the jobs list.

Might even have the weekend off...

.. err - when is the weekend, BTW ?? :wacko:

screenman

Legendary Member
I
I've got five, capable, and personable adults 'trapped' on the farm with me..

It's great - we're cruising through the jobs list.

Might even have the weekend off...

.. err - when is the weekend, BTW ?? :wacko:

Got any easy questions??

classic33

Leg End Member
Watching from the road, the work seems easy. At most you'd be watching for half an hour, not realising that those doing the work may have been doing it for a few hours already, with more to come.

How many would be willing to spend the day doing the job, grabbing a break as and when it becomes available. Silage is a non-stop process once started, with breaks coming between the draws. Many a person has never come back for the second day on the job. Paid when the job was completed, not before.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Watching from the road, the work seems easy. At most you'd be watching for half an hour, not realising that those doing the work may have been doing it for a few hours already, with more to come.

How many would be willing to spend the day doing the job, grabbing a break as and when it becomes available. Silage is a non-stop process once started, with breaks coming between the draws. Many a person has never come back for the second day on the job. Paid when the job was completed, not before.

I used to do all day and then through the night silage trailering, for a contractor, when much younger.

And sometimes buckraking the clamp..

Exhausting, but kinda fun, in a manic, not-awfully-safe-kind of way.

Much coffee consumed, but there's always someone else needs theirs doing right now, while the weather holds..

It does mean that one of my claims to fame is being able to reverse two trailers, in series -
- that's a really good mind bender when first attempted. :wacko:

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hey @Andy in Germany remember me telling you about that peg loomed, Jacobs fleece, tractor seat pad, crafted for me by last years farm trainee ??

Well here it is...

Warm and comfy for my bum, on freezy mornings - like this one -

- Total 'hippy farmer luxe' ^_^

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There’s hope for all mankind....

winjim

Smash the cistern
It should do. The ancients interplanted Corn with Butternut squash so corn -squash-corn-squash in rows. Smart :-)
The ancients weren't trying to grow crops in a medium sized suburban garden in Sheffield.

I do like butternut squash though. Maybe I should give that a go.

I spent 8 months on a kibbutz in the early '80s and loved EVERY second of it. At the busiest harvest times, there were 60+ volunteers working in harmony.

I worked mostly picking citrus fruits for 4 months and was a bee keeper for 4 months with other small jobs thrown in, such as working in the kitchen/dining room, gardening, carpentry etc. others (who had previous experience) repaired or operated tractors and other agricultural vehicles, the dairy milking cows, the nursey and so on.

There was a tremendous community spirit and the partying (for the hard-core drinkers, who didn't usually last long) was hard.

Accommodation was basic but comfortable, 3 to a room, and everyone was equal with regard to jobs, status, clothing and salary earned (about £3:00 a week). Meals, clothing, accommodation and trips were all provided free of charge in exchange for working 6 hours a day, 6 days a week. The best time if my life.

Maybe something like this, on a much smaller scale, could be 'set up' in the UK to get everyone through this unprecedented time.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hoi @mudsticks Have you seen the Google Doodle today? :wub:

I have now.
More importantly for me is the extra appreciation I've been getting from my regular customers.

But yes a bit of extra attention from journalists, and others with an interest in food policy, writing articles on Covid 19 and its effects on Food sovereignty, soundbites for FAO, and a special podcast coming soon...

Plus quite a lot of actual real life farming to do.

Hope every that can, is enjoying their lazy days :okay:

Top Bottom