The call for the Land Army

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Not something I can do as i am working in care but if I was out of work or staying at home I'd enjoy this.
Week away and all that fresh air..and get paid!!

No point trying to get the lazy never work lot as they're a waste of space but most people who are being forced to stay home from could really benefit from this. It would be good for body and mind.

Not to mention taking the stress out of the home for a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...abour-shortfall-despite-interest-in-land-army

Rocky

Hello decadence
I'm sure it's hard work but it can be immense fun.....particularly for those of us who have spent years working in an office. I used to take my annual holidays helping my uncle with harvest - stacking bales and storing them in the Dutch barn. All of that work is now mechanised.

I loved the long hours, the company and the lack of stress (all the decisions were made for me). At the end of the three week holiday, I was also as fit as a fiddle......but not particularly well off, because it also involved quite a lot of time in the local pub.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not something I can do as i am working in care but if I was out of work or staying at home I'd enjoy this.
Week away and all that fresh air..and get paid!!

No point trying to get the lazy never work lot as they're a waste of space but most people who are being forced to stay home from could really benefit from this. It would be good for body and mind.

Not to mention taking the stress out of the home for a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...abour-shortfall-despite-interest-in-land-army

My younger son has been off doing this elsewhere on a local farm.

No idea where he acquired the skills..

This was already going to be a problem, post Brexit, with Eastern European workers being put off coming here.
Now its even worse.

It really points up how fragile our food system had become.

The impression of abundance in the Supermarkets was built on the back of migrant labour, often working in less than ideal conditions.

Many crops that would be being planted now in Europe, won't be happening this summer.

Might be worth sowing a few tomato seeds next week.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm sure it's hard work but it can be immense fun.....particularly for those of us who have spent years working in an office. I used to take my annual holidays helping my uncle with harvest - stacking bales and storing them in the Dutch barn. All of that work is now mechanised.

I loved the long hours, the company and the lack of stress (all the decisions were made for me). At the end of the three week holiday, I was also as fit as a fiddle......but not particularly well off, because it also involved quite a lot of time in the local pub.

I'd go easy at first, if you've been stuck in an office, your back might not appreciate the uncommon exercise.

And I suspect the chiropractors aren't at work either.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It will be tough on a back for most, even my back suffers now after 3.5 yrs out of the paving game..just doing a bit of bending

Yup,

I'd have been broken by farming years ago, if it wasn't for yoga, keeping me strong and flexible, and putting everything back where it needs to be. :okay:

I've done yoga-for-farmers sessions before - maybe I should get some up online for my landworking colleagues. :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Might be worth sowing a few tomato seeds next week.
Our local garden centre has reopened for deliveries but it seems that suddenly everyone's a gardener. They had a big run on veg seeds the week before they closed, no tomatoes left at all, and given our 'designated survivor' situation I'm not too impressed with the variety of broccoli he managed to find for me. Still, at least they had plenty of compost, which is in short supply at the big chains.

Attachments

• 20200331_081737.jpg
    20200331_081737.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yup,

I'd have been broken by farming years ago, if it wasn't for yoga, keeping me strong and flexible, and putting everything back where it needs to be. :okay:

I've done yoga-for-farmers sessions before - maybe I should get some up online for my landworking colleagues. :smile:

I can almost visualise the workers...
Day 1 full of enthusiasm
Day 2 omg I ache..
Day 3 I need a paramedic :laugh:

Day 4 ...learn to stretch before starting;)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Our local garden centre has reopened for deliveries but it seems that suddenly everyone's a gardener. They had a big run on veg seeds the week before they closed, no tomatoes left at all, and given our 'designated survivor' situation I'm not too impressed with the variety of broccoli he managed to find for me. Still, at least they had plenty of compost, which is in short supply at the big chains.

Hmmn, I see what you mean. :rolleyes:

Have you got mesh to protect that 'broccoli' against the butterflies??

I've grown it before as an early greens crop, but found it went to seed very quickly..

winjim

Smash the cistern
Hmmn, I see what you mean. :rolleyes:

Have you got mesh to protect that 'broccoli' against the butterflies??

I've grown it before as an early greens crop, but found it went to seed very quickly..
Yes, it did that the last time I tried it. Oh well, if it attracts butterflies then the four year old will be happy anyway.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Our lightweight, soft, self-entitled society would get a real shock if the wheel really did fall off! Fortunately, us CC'ers are liable to be fitter than the norm and would hopefully adapt more quickly.

Mmm, maybe, but there's a lot of youngsters not being able to get to the gym now.

They can come back to the land, and maintain their training, doing something useful, for a change.

Everyday is leg, and back, and arms day :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, it did that the last time I tried it. Oh well, if it attracts butterflies then the four year old will be happy anyway.

Well it's fast enough growing that you might get a crop before the cabbage whites arrive.

And the four year old could spend happy times picking off all the caterpillars to stock her / his 'Caterpillar Zoo' :rolleyes:

Smudge

Veteran
Nearest i've ever come to agricultural work, was grape picking in France that i did one summer. It wasn't hard strenuous work, but me being tall it did affect my back the constant bending down to cut the grapes. After a few weeks i got the job of taking the grapes back to the cart by the tractor. This was done with large bucket that you would wear like a rucksack. Much better for me to be working upright there after that.
My back is totally fooked these days, but that's more likely from all the years i worked in the building trade and also handballing loads of trucks i also drove. Much physical work when you're younger often always catches up with you in later life.

Top Bottom