The campsites situation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I agree that the bigger motorhomes are certainly very expensive but in the used market before the pandemic I looked at a smaller camper and decided that I was better sticking with a coachbuilt.
My problem was that for ferry travel I had to stay under 6 metres and there are not many coachbuilts at that level.
Incidentally Corran Ferry are now grading motorhomes and campers according to length which they did not do before. Makes sense but if my Peugeot Partner was converted I would be penalised. I have a blue badge and do not pay for a car anyway on this ferry but with a motorhome I don't know how they would work it.
We’ve come from 7.5m coachbuilts to a 6.4m PVC (I think we may have struggled with the leap to a more convenient 6m with the 2 Whippets and my armoury of outdoor cooking gadgets!). Interestingly, thanks to the rise of drop-down beds, 6m coachbuilts are a growing trend. We considered one from Burstner, very spacious!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I booked three sites this week for July and August - touring caravan. Yes, availability was patchy so it was a case of going with what there was, but it wasn’t too bad - and that was just through the CAMC; looking at indies there appears to be options out there with a bit of research.
CAMC and CCC are our defaults for weekends away, but whilst reliable in facilities and peacefulness, they are a bit Stepford-like (or Duloc for you younger readers). There are some great independents around which all have their more distinct charms and atmosphere. The internet is a great research tool in that respect.

Wandrin

I'm off up to Scotland towards the end of the month, taking a few days to do it.

A cow-free* corner of a field is all I need ( solo wild camping )

*For they are big and scary and will crush my tent and me in it without noticing

Camped over the long BH weekend a few miles outside Exeter. About 4/10 pitches in use on the busiest day. They're not on the main web bookings sites; that may have affected bookings, or maybe Devon isn't as busy as the honeypots in Lakes and Peaks? Local climbing club has just emailed about a meet in Snowdonia with loads of space until at least late May BH.

Open shower + toilet block. Properly mown/gathered grass. Nice friendly owners.

I reckon post May17th bookings will jump. Then of course it will ramp up into the warmer* months and the school hols apocalypse.

*Yes, I CAN say that. This weekend was the coldest Bank Holiday on record! So summer WILL be warmer, ner-ner-na-ner-ner.

DRHysted

Guru
Same in Botswana. And the crocodiles. And the elephants. And the puff adders. And the warthogs. And, and, and...

Camping here is so boring! You might encounter an angry badger.

At the remote highlands campsite we use there was a bloke one morning who complained that he hadn’t slept as the rutting deer had surrounded his tent during the night.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm off up to Scotland towards the end of the month, taking a few days to do it.

A cow-free* corner of a field is all I need ( solo wild camping )

*For they are big and scary and will crush my tent and me in it without noticing
Cattle are very nosey and I have seen then give an unknown bit of machinery a bash just to see what will happen. If they have not been dehorned they could rip your tent.
Out in the apparent wilds a herd will cover a fair distance as a routine while grazing. Look for freshish cowpats and if there are any go somewhere else.

Wandrin

Look for freshish cowpats and if there are any go somewhere else.

Indeed!

Last year saw me making a hasty, and half naked, exit from a field when, just after sundown I suddenly smelled cow, opened the tent and found that my previously empty field was now not.

I was now sharing it with about 20 very curious cows who were 50 yards and closing.

Thankfully I keep a tidy camp so was able to pick up and move bike and tent out and over the fence in about 3 armfulls ( never going back inside the tent, to then disappear from sight might be a really bad idea )

The next field wasn't as flat but at least it was properly empty.

Given my knowledge of cowpoohology is limited to the fact you can throw dry ones like frisbees, yes, the safest thing is, as you say, to go elsewhere.

RoMeR

Über Member
Going camping myself in a couple of weeks time for a few days midweek , just me, the car, a bike, and a smallish tent. Trying to find a basic campsites near the coast in East Yorkshire or in the Peak District, and I'm struggling to find anything that will be open.
Have you had a look at Coopers in Edale in the Peak District, its a big site, so perhaps.

Top Bottom