The case against Armstrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Some new stuff, not all 'ssdd'. Interesting reading.

http://media.crikey....SI-Jan-2011.pdf

It's from this month's edition of Sports Illustrated btw.

Edit:

It's a good summary of the past allegations, of the remit and impetuous of the Novitsky/USFDA investigation and includes some new stuff.

There's a new allegation; the use of HemAssist - a haemophilia treatment drug no longer in development that had oxygen carrying properties much like EPO but without the negative side effects of blood thickening. But, for me, the stuff I found most interesting (and was certainly new to me) was the testosterone-epitestosterone test results from 1993, 1994 and 1996. In tests performed by Donald Caplan's UCLA lab, readings of 9-1, 7.6-1 and 6.5-1 respectively were made. A 'normal' person's reading is around 1-1. The tests could not be confirmed but really ought sound alarm bells of some sort.

Ex Motorola team-mate Stephen Swart's allegation of Armstrong's hematocrit level being "54 or 56" is specifically new to me but his other comments are generally known.

adscrim

Veteran
I wish people would stop interviewing Landis for these articles. The new stuff you mention is plenty to include in an article, and I feel would be more weighty without without the inclusion of Landis saying LA was carrying around bags of drugs.

I understand that Landis may have been the catalyst for the current action, but his credability is shot. Whether he's telling the truth or not, quoting him only serves to muddy the waters.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I understand that Landis may have been the catalyst for the current action

Not strictly true. The investigation started before Landis' allegations but it's probably true to say that were given a different focus by them.

Besides, there's plenty of meat left in the article if you ignore the Landis bits!

OP
OP
Y

yello

I do wonder how he is handling stuff at the moment. He gives the impression that it's water off a duck's back but I can't quite believe that. I've read somewhere that he didn't even know of those Catlin results, which is possible. If true though, can you imagine the sinking feeling?

There's many a question around those results though. And for some, it calls into question Catlin's ability, credibility and (more conspiratorially) impartiality.

There's been mention (from Armstrong's side) that the investigation will be complete by SuperBowl time in February. Who knows? It's done when Novitsky deems it so I guess, not to anyone else's agenda.

My take is that we are entering the end game phase. The fact Sport's Illustrated felt confident enough to repeat the allegations and add new ones means their lawyers are less worried than they may have been maybe 2 years ago, even last year. I read an article yesterday in the Guardian that closed with the 'never tested positive' line... so they are still very careful around the subject.

OP
OP
Y

yello

The following link is to an interview with Selena Roberts, the co-author of the article, in which she discusses the new allegations and outlines what charges Armstrong could face as a result of the USFDA investigation.

http://www.npr.org/p...254&m=133091646

Recommended listening.

Stange

The following link is to an interview with Selena Roberts, the co-author of the article, in which she discusses the new allegations and outlines what charges Armstrong could face as a result of the USFDA investigation.

http://www.npr.org/p...254&m=133091646

Recommended listening.

LA's twittering said that USADA are investigating SI's claims....this is going to run and run.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Unusual tweet that, I thought. As if Armstrong thinks USADA might trash the SI article? Or welcomes USADA investigating but not USFDA? It's the latter that really matters here of course. It's they that wield the bigger stick.

I personally don't think there's much run time left in this one. Though, I was interested to read reports suggesting that there was some stuff that SI kept back under legal advice. Maybe we're not quite in open fields yet?

Makes me think though, should the house of Armstrong come tumbling down, there'll be quite a few interesting bodies filing suits looking for their pound of flesh, settling scores. It wouldn't be pretty.

Top Bottom