The CC authors, writers, and bookists thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For shooting round corners?

Like this one the Germans made in the War

E0518678-D3C6-4618-BF8D-C65BAFAC4A70.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
Not being a writer and having no understanding of how the book publishing business work I never cease to be amazed at how so much dross becomes a best-seller.

As an example of my naivete; I have a very intelligent friend who thoroughly enjoys Jack Reacher novels. I could understand this if he was a young teenager.

His response to my question 'why do you read books like that?' was that they were simple, mindless fun that helped him to relax.

I had never thought of reading a book with that approach before.

Books (and films for that matter) are an utterly personal thing. One man's dross is another man's pleasure. I've tried books by very successful novelists...and utterly hated them. You have expectations, preferences, like specific styles, equally importantly HATE specific styles (I'm thinking the Andy McNabb stuff, hate it with a vengeance), you can't switch that off (well I can't anyway )
One man's treasure....

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, it means Shaw can be in large gold embossed letters on the front cover, and Randolph across the top in smaller letters.

It was that or Howard Bell, but Randolph Shaw won because it's more distinctive.

Two syllable first name, single syllable surname. Snappy.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, it means Shaw can be in large gold embossed letters on the front cover, and Randolph across the top in smaller letters.

It was that or Howard Bell, but Randolph Shaw won because it's more distinctive.

At least you didn't go for Randy Shaw. ^_^

Although that is already monopolised according to a quick Google.

Best of luck with your aspirations. 👍

tyred

Legendary Member

Someone should have told Englebert Humperdinck.

I wouldn't set a target. Not initially anyway. Just write until the story is finished, and see what it comes out at.

Word count is probably a better measure of overall length anyways. Somewhere between 70,000 and 90,000 words is what would be considered a reasonable novel, and should be easily achievable with strong characters and a well thought out plot.

Top Bottom