The CC authors, writers, and bookists thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
There will be a gun in it, but with a very nice twist I've worked out.

For shooting round corners?

Rocky

Hello decadence
I can't help but think your main character should be called Doug.

He'll have a Scottish accent and like whisky, curling and trains.

Doug Macbeth..........much much better than Dirk.

Reynard

Guru
Was thinking this through in bed last night to the point that when I dozed off I was dreaming I was there with the characters. As a consequence I awoke with pretty much the rest of the plot sorted in my mind. Result!

Been thinking about the film adaption. I want Gérard Butler to play the widower, Mark Rylance to play the old boy, Mark Strong to play the chief gangster, the enigmatic and surprisingly fair "call me Mr Smith". Undecided who is going to play the nasty-piece-of-work trawlerman, his son, and the key female character.

I should think the film rights will bag me a few mill on top of the hundreds of thousands from the book sales. The power of positive thinking!

Welcome to my world! :biggrin:

Namely those moments at stupid-o-clock during the night when you wake up and HAVE to write down what your half asleep mind has just come up with, because you know that if you go back to sleep, you'll have forgotten about the moment of inspiration when you wake up in the morning. DAMHIKT.

My lead character is currently navigating a "whatever can go wrong will go wrong moment" which threatens to expose the secret she's been concealing since the beginning of the story. Either she has to lie through her teeth to keep hold of her means of travelling through time, or place her trust in the hands of someone whose boss and mentor could have their life fall apart if they ever found out that time travel was possible or found out who it was that my main protagonist was travelling back in time to see.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Namely those moments at stupid-o-clock during the night when you wake up and HAVE to write down what your half asleep mind has just come up with, because you know that if you go back to sleep, you'll have forgotten about the moment of inspiration when you wake up in the morning. DAMHIKT.

My lead character is currently navigating a "whatever can go wrong will go wrong moment" which threatens to expose the secret she's been concealing since the beginning of the story. Either she has to lie through her teeth to keep hold of her means of travelling through time, or place her trust in the hands of someone whose boss and mentor could have their life fall apart if they ever found out that time travel was possible or found out who it was that my main protagonist was travelling back in time to see.

your book sounds better than the adventures of Dirk Bigbollox.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

Ah, well my trawlerman is currently thinking back on how he came to end up employed by a freelance gangland fixer. After all, dumping evidence and bodies at sea is hardly a career with long term prospects and he's just coming to realise this.

Reynard

Guru
Ah, well my trawlerman is currently thinking back on how he came to end up employed by a freelance gangland fixer. After all, dumping evidence and bodies at sea is hardly a career with long term prospects and he's just coming to realise this.

My main character is a photographer. Somewhat more run-of-the-mill. :blush:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Trawlerman is my main nasty man, the widower will be one of the good guys, albeit prepared to act ambiguously in putsuit of the righteous big picture.

I'm already hooked!

Reynard

Guru
I prefer to produce around 300 words a day, and polish them as best I can as I go along. It breaks up a large project into manageable chunks with achievable goals. I also keep a notebook to scribble down ideas, refine the plot, create detailed character profiles, that sort of thing. The thinking time is equally as important.

Everyone is different, though.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'll get the first chapter donpwn, probably another 15 pages or so, then I'll go back and ruthlessly chop, change and generally fiddle until I'm happy.

Then it's on to chapter 2, which will bring the first of the real violence. Someone is going to receive a good old fashioned 3 on one ass whuppimg as punishment for laying hands on someone's sister. It is going to be properly brutal, and it's going to feed the trawlerman's growing resentment which will explode at the books climax.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I'll get the first chapter donpwn, probably another 15 pages or so, then I'll go back and ruthlessly chop, change and generally fiddle until I'm happy.

Then it's on to chapter 2, which will bring the first of the real violence. Someone is going to receive a good old fashioned 3 on one ass whuppimg as punishment for laying hands on someone's sister. It is going to be properly brutal, and it's going to feed the trawlerman's growing resentment which will explode at the books climax.

“I’ll give you a war you won’t believe”?

Top Bottom