The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
It seems more like the track has been 'upgraded'. I think the old one would show as disturbed earth on the satellite imagery.

Google Earth gives you historical aerial pictures. This one is dated 2010 and shows the old track, further west than the current one.

trigpoint.png

Apologies for being boringly conventional and having north at the top.

Edit - the new gate can also be seen under construction.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Google Earth gives you historical aerial pictures. This one is dated 2010 and shows the old track, further west than the current one.

View attachment 347854

Apologies for being boringly conventional and having north at the top.

Edit - the new gate can also be seen under construction.
Thanks for that. I only looked at the first image presented to me.
No probs with being boringly conventional, my view was the direction I was looking on the bike
:smile:

bladesman73

Über Member
never tried this till today. located some local trig points on the trig website, both were near local village churches. i couldnt see them when i got there. are they usually hard to find? didnt want to go scouting thru the churchyard

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
There are trig points, which are almost all concrete pillars, although a few are 'bolts' attached to prominent landmarks such as church spires, water towers etc. A few hundred trig points have gone, but most of the 12,000 odd still remain

As well as the trig points there are 'lower order' OS marks used for more local surveying in between the main trig points. Some are metal flush brakes, as in my earlier photos in this thread. Some are cut marks, simply the OS crows foot carved into stonework, and some are bolts, a bolt head of a few inches dimater hammered in to a precise spot.

For trig points this is an excellent resource:

http://trigpointing.uk

For then lower order 'benchmarks', the flush brackets, cut marks and bolts:

http://www.bench-marks.org.uk

I got into this quite by accident. Its an interesting pass time in its own right, but its a superb excuse for an exploratory bike ride. Indeed, there's a cut mark I've identified I'm going to try and track down tomorrow.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ours are just a flat copper disc mounted to a concrete slab, but I have a fancy computer database that helps me find everything by which I can locate them. I'll have to try and fine one, maybe today. I stumbled on one once as a youth, hunting freshwater snail shells.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
[QUOTE 4768594, member: 9609"]I nearly set my neck doing this daft stunt, it took me three goes to get it right - there is only a 30 second delay on the camera, so to press the button then get on the trig with my bike was not that easy, first go I was too late, second go I lost my balance and had to jump, and the third go I twinged something in my shoulder and its still not right. Too old for doing nonsense like that - i won't be ding it again.[/QUOTE]
So... in existence, somewhere, are the photos of you 'not quite making it'?
These we should see :laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
As you go over the bridge (nice uphill leading up to it, eh?) Its on the left hand side of the bridge, dead in then middle, about 2' from the floor. The cut mark itself is in excellent condition, but the bridge itself is a bit knackered.

As you go across the bridge peer over the sides and you can see the course of the old Salcey Forest railway which used to link Roade with Horton.

Top Bottom