The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4754527, member: 9609"]I wonder if it was a Vanesa Tube, apparently they were a real magnet for lightening strikes, I think I only ever come across one that was intact

Here is the remains of a Vanesa Tube and possibly one of the remotest trig points on the mainland, top of Ladhar Bheinn in Knoydart. I'm not a trig basher but I seen a fair few when I was bagging Munros and Corbetts.
View attachment 346418
[/QUOTE]
Here's the Vanessa atop Ord Ban, a very pleasing little hill that overlooks Loch an Eilein near Aviemore. We walked up it, accompanied by a small bear, but it wouldn't be too much effort to lug a mountain bike up, it's only a short distance from the car park.
IMG_0246.JPG

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well done mate. I might visit that one next weekend on the Claud.
My OS reference put it as alongside the road and up the hedge.. It's actually on the (private) farm track within 50 yards of the gate.
Just take your warrant card and say you're investigating an act of trespass by an old fart on Easter Sunday :okay:

PeteXXX

There's a few left out of the 11,678, to bag yet then.
Nearly there :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Birthday on Tuesday
"On a clear, crisp spring morning in 1936, a group of men gathered around a strange, pale obelisk in the middle of an unremarkable field in Cold Ashby, Northamptonshire. Those men were there to begin the greatest undertaking Ordnance Survey had attempted since the early 19th century.

That shining white monolith would now be instantly recognised by any walker, hiker or geography pupil. It was of course a Trig Pillar, and today, 18 April, marks 75 years since the day when they were first used in anger at the beginning of the Retriangulation of Great Britain."

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/bl...hday-to-the-trig-pillar-75-years-young-today/

PeteXXX

According to my reckoning using Streetview and 'Earth', this Trig point has moved 20 or so yards to the East!

Untitledview one.png

This was 2009

Untitledview2.png

And this is 2017 . The Trig point is in the hedge alongside the left of the farm track, and nowhere to be seen in the field.. It doesn't look as though a new track has been built as that would show up on the satellite image.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Some pillars have been moved. There's an OS benchmark near the in laws that I've yet to track down, which was carved on a stone pier. The pier was later demolished, and the stone re used in a gateway so the bench!ark has moved several hundred metres.

PeteXXX

It's a new track. The old track starts opposite a hedgerow (out of shot in your aerial screengrab), the new track is also surfaced and not just mud, the gates on the aerial view are set back from the road.
It seems more like the track has been 'upgraded'. I think the old one would show as disturbed earth on the satellite imagery.

Top Bottom