The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Bagged a few early this morning
Not sure what the history is of this. Close up the writing not clear talks about a lord and right to pass. Toll marker or other sort of right of way notice maybe.
IMG_3881.JPG

Couple of nice mile stones
IMG_3885.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG

classic33

Leg End Member
Obviously pre-decimalisation... on the B3212 on Dartmoor, near the Jurston road turning. Amused by the supposed accuracy of inches... and I wonder what vintage it actually is...

View attachment 525036
I think there's a plate missing, under the ft & in. You can see where it may have been. Used to mark the distance of something underground. E R* suggests telephone wires.

*Elizabeth Regina, Queen Elizabeth II 1953 at the earliest.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not quite sure where this one fits, so it's in here....Goyt's Lane, Got Valley - Shrine to the Blessed Virgin Mary
View attachment 525222
"Built in the 1950s at the instigation of Canon Baldwin of St Anne's in Buxton, it stands between two old gateposts and is inset with a mosaic flanked by fresh flowers, which are regularly replenished - despite its remote location.

An inscription on the shrine reads: "Hail Mary, full of Grace; Mother of Jesus; Queen of the World; pray for us.""

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...dden-waterfalls-lost-villages-devils-16981621

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...hUKEwib27Oqu9LpAhVCr3EKHcdSCL4Q6AEwC3oECAEQAQ

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I think there's a plate missing, under the ft & in. You can see where it may have been. Used to mark the distance of something underground. E R* suggests telephone wires.

*Elizabeth Regina, Queen Elizabeth II 1953 at the earliest.
I'd assumed it was an elevation marker, hence the arrow at the line. But inches seemed odd for elevation, especially pre laser accuracy. Yes, the plate is missing, whatever it said.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd assumed it was an elevation marker, hence the arrow at the line. But inches seemed odd for elevation, especially pre laser accuracy. Yes, the plate is missing, whatever it said.
You may well be right. Just trying to get the most information in one, small, area as possible.

A bit like a Boundary Stone that has the broad arrow and line on it

D

Deleted member 26715

Don't think it's for phone lines, they used to have something called a split coupling which was a buried joint, if there was marker nothing as ornate as that, just a simple concrete marker, is it too far into the wilds to be water?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Don't think it's for phone lines, they used to have something called a split coupling which was a buried joint, if there was marker nothing as ornate as that, just a simple concrete marker, is it too far into the wilds to be water?
Seems very unlikely at that point, and it's the only one I know of along that road... but then, I've no idea why there would be an elevation marker there either... he's the view there...

DSC09497.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Seems very unlikely at that point, and it's the only one I know of along that road... but then, I've no idea why there would be an elevation marker there either... he's the view there...

View attachment 525335
Aha, someone just added this comment to a Facebook post I put it on: " It is actually an approx 110 year old 'telegraph marker'. The missing distance would have been the distance to the cable access point rather than the elevation. The arrowhead is a 'property of HMG' marker rather than a benchmark symbol. "

D

Deleted member 26715

Aha, someone just added this comment to a Facebook post I put it on: " It is actually an approx 110 year old 'telegraph marker'. The missing distance would have been the distance to the cable access point rather than the elevation. The arrowhead is a 'property of HMG' marker rather than a benchmark symbol. "
Sorry but I think they are incorrect, as @classic33 states it has ER which suggest Elizabeth Regina & must date after 1953

Top Bottom