The club and the upward spiral of tech prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I can't recall that happening in the clubs I've been in. People have taken the piss out of people for riding dirty bikes which I think is fair enough.

Dirty or squeaky bikes is fair game. It doesn't matter how expensive they are.

I still get mentioned for having a squeaky pedal on a 200-mile ride about six years ago on a new Wilier Izoard full carbon set-up. Squeak - squeak - squeak for almost all the 200 miles :laugh:

I can't recall that happening in the clubs I've been in.

Thus proving that people vary. As will collections of people (such as clubs).

iandg

Legendary Member
No. And if someone were to hit a rider with a hammer, screaming "Take that! That's for your horrible rim brakes!" that would not be imagination. If it ever happened.

Off topic anecdote - I once worked with a guy who had hit his wife with a hammer and killed her. He was back in the workplace having served his time at her majesty's pleasure. He cycled to work (as did I) and was complaining about cars cutting him up. I suggested that we get a tandem. When he passed my house he could leave his bike and we would ride tandem the final 8 miles to work. I suggested he piloted and I stoked and that I could have a hammer to bang cars that cut us up. He suggested that he'd go on the back as I was the better bike handler. I told him to f*** off, I wasn't having him sit behind me with a hammer. 😄

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
You appear to live in cloud cuckoo land. But to be fair, it does sound as if it works very pleasantly for you so well done, I am very happy for you.

I think most of us probably live in what you think of as "cloud cuckoo land".

I can't really relate it to cycling clubs because I've never been a member of any (keep thinking about it, but have never actually got round to trying any), but his comments seem to apply to general life just as much.

Off topic anecdote - I once worked with a guy who had hit his wife with a hammer and killed her. He was back in the workplace having served his time at her majesty's pleasure. He cycled to work (as did I) and was complaining about cars cutting him up. I suggested that we get a tandem. When he passed my house he could leave his bike and we would ride tandem the final 8 miles to work. I suggested he piloted and I stoked and that I could have a hammer to bang cars that cut us up. He suggested that he'd go on the back as I was the better bike handler. I told him to f*** off, I wasn't having him sit behind me with a hammer. 😄

Now THAT is bantz.

Sallar55

Veteran
I can't recall that happening in the clubs I've been in. People have taken the piss out of people for riding dirty bikes which I think is fair enough.
I think those days are over, having a winter bike is long gone in most cycling clubs. We used to have dirty bike competitions, cleaning the bike was riding in the rain. A plus was not needing to carry a lock for cafe stops. Happy days.

Big T

Guru
I’m currently doing club rides on a 2nd hand Specialized that cost £300. No matter how good your bike, you still have to pedal it. Our aging club captain bought a Carbon winter bike as he thought he’d be able to keep up on rides better. He was wrong, you can’t outride Old Father Time. We have another member who has a full Carbon top end TT rig with disc wheel and all. Must have cost at least 6k. He struggles to beat 30 minutes for a 10 mile TT on it.

Some people fall in to the trap of thinking Tech makes you faster. Riding more and training makes you faster.

We have a rule that if you come out in winter on a bike with no mudguards, then you have to ride at the back of the group.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dirty or squeaky bikes is fair game. It doesn't matter how expensive they are.

I still get mentioned for having a squeaky pedal on a 200-mile ride about six years ago on a new Wilier Izoard full carbon set-up. Squeak - squeak - squeak for almost all the 200 miles :laugh:

I got nicknamed 'Marigold' in my club as my bikes were always spotless. They still are ! ^_^

Alex321

Veteran
I’m currently doing club rides on a 2nd hand Specialized that cost £300. No matter how good your bike, you still have to pedal it. Our aging club captain bought a Carbon winter bike as he thought he’d be able to keep up on rides better. He was wrong, you can’t outride Old Father Time. We have another member who has a full Carbon top end TT rig with disc wheel and all. Must have cost at least 6k. He struggles to beat 30 minutes for a 10 mile TT on it.

So would I - on any bike :smile:

Maybe if it was completely flat and no wind I could do it.

Some people fall in to the trap of thinking Tech makes you faster. Riding more and training makes you faster.

We have a rule that if you come out in winter on a bike with no mudguards, then you have to ride at the back of the group.

What is this concept of "no mudguards"?

My bike gets used in all weathers, and we don't have enough reliably dry days in Sout Wales to be worth the hassle of taking mudguards off.

Big T

Guru
So would I - on any bike :smile:

Maybe if it was completely flat and no wind I could do it.

What is this concept of "no mudguards"?

My bike gets used in all weathers, and we don't have enough reliably dry days in Sout Wales to be worth the hassle of taking mudguards off.

I have a summer bike, that has no mudguards and a winter bike which always has mudguards. I choose according to the weather, but the summer bike never gets ridden outside between October and March. It lives on the turbo trainer then. Even if it’s not actually raining in the winter, the roads are often damp/wet.

Top Bottom