The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No wonder Pat refused to answer questions on his salary and that was without the (alleged) backhanders from caught dopers
He and Hein (and others) were rumoured to have a finger in the pie of the global cycling network that organised, amongst other races , the Tour of Beijing. It will be interesting to see if that is something Phat Pat still has an interest in now he's no longer in the UCI set up.

oldroadman

Veteran
He and Hein (and others) were rumoured to have a finger in the pie of the global cycling network that organised, amongst other races , the Tour of Beijing. It will be interesting to see if that is something Phat Pat still has an interest in now he's no longer in the UCI set up.
I think GCP is/was a directly owned subsidiary of UCI, so now Pat and Hein are sidelined, would hope they have nothing to do with the organisation. Time for a clean break and let BC get on with the job of implementing his manifesto. Interesting to see he has taken the BC legal man (I think) Mr Gibbs, with him, and now he is director general. Like BC has said, there are good people at UCI and hopefully they will emerge to do good things now that the old regime have been shifted out. A review one year in would be interesting, I think.

resal

Veteran
Pat was "dead meat" the moment he refused Katusha a place on the World Tour. It was his equivalent of Lance making the call to get Floyd's entry refused at the TOC. I would dearly love to know what was going through Pat's brain at the time, because certainly he is no slouch on the wheeling and dealing front.

BC will now have a few good months. How long it lasts will depend on what Makarov's guys dig up on BC/SKY Froome, Cav, Brad etc. One supplier bragging a bit too much and the next few years are going to be a great time for Russian cycling. Indeed the cards may already be dealt in in the hands and Igor is just waiting for the right time to play his ace. If Froome, Brad and Cav are all clean, BC will be able to get on largely unhindered.

The trail to Rabo and the chicken is making Brailsford's spin, that he did due diligence on Leinders before hiring and comments after the event - "well I never!", seem ever more implausible. Ryder and McGrath can spin, "I only ever doped between the 3rd and 17th of August 2003" and get away with it. Brad's knighthood and the whole "we are the only clean team out there" vomo-spin means they are going to be in for a rough ride if Santa's white beard is found to be held on with elastic. This Rebekah Brooks and Coulson story coming on top of the Police plebegate farce is anesthetising the audience, so the voltage needs turning up higher to get the same shock effect.

oldroadman

Veteran
Pat was "dead meat" the moment he refused Katusha a place on the World Tour. It was his equivalent of Lance making the call to get Floyd's entry refused at the TOC. I would dearly love to know what was going through Pat's brain at the time, because certainly he is no slouch on the wheeling and dealing front.

BC will now have a few good months. How long it lasts will depend on what Makarov's guys dig up on BC/SKY Froome, Cav, Brad etc. One supplier bragging a bit too much and the next few years are going to be a great time for Russian cycling. Indeed the cards may already be dealt in in the hands and Igor is just waiting for the right time to play his ace. If Froome, Brad and Cav are all clean, BC will be able to get on largely unhindered.

The trail to Rabo and the chicken is making Brailsford's spin, that he did due diligence on Leinders before hiring and comments after the event - "well I never!", seem ever more implausible. Ryder and McGrath can spin, "I only ever doped between the 3rd and 17th of August 2003" and get away with it. Brad's knighthood and the whole "we are the only clean team out there" vomo-spin means they are going to be in for a rough ride if Santa's white beard is found to be held on with elastic. This Rebekah Brooks and Coulson story coming on top of the Police plebegate farce is anesthetising the audience, so the voltage needs turning up higher to get the same shock effect.

I can't recall ever seeing that in print or quoted anywhere, I do recall Sky simply saying they were a clean team and had a strong ethic twoards use of illegal substances and methods.
Leinders was a big error, but if I remember it came almost immediately following the death of the soigneur in Spain, and so probably it was a hasty decision. I would hope that the doctor was closely monitored and controlled, although at the point of hiring he had no evidence against him, only that he had worked with Rabobank (as was). All the same it does not now look like a good decision, but then as we all know hindsigt is the only exact science.
Very clever to get Makarov and Santa Claus in the same piece, along with Coulson and Wade, those naughty journalists - chapeau.^_^

oldroadman

Veteran
Missed one question - what on earth is "vomo-spin". Is this the secret training Sky are using to get wieght down?

thom

____
I'm not sure if this article from the Grauniad has been posted
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/05/contact-lance-armstrong-uci-reconciliation?CMP=twt_gu
He seems to be doing the right things in the right way so far
"The computers and documents from the UCI offices in Aigle that were secured by the security firm Kroll within hours of Cookson being voted into office on 27 September are now being held in a secure safe at Kroll. "The only person who can release those documents is me, and I can only do that on the say-so of the independent commission. It will be in their hands." "
Wow, I thought maybe they'd get on to have a look to see what is there…
It sounds like being a very rigorous, straight process which whatever gets turned up should satisfy most people and agendas.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes, I'd have been down there like a shot!
I suppose the urgency seems less now that Phat has disappeared and Hein has fallen on sword.

oldroadman

Veteran
This is good, and what ever it finally reports (which may hurt for a while) the sport will be better for it. It may even persuade other sports to follow the example.

Top Bottom