The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

For some reason I can't read that link now though I did manage to read most earlier. An excellent reminder of why Phat was such a bad UCI president.

Was Turkey not one of his supporters in the campaign?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
McQuaid (unsurprisingly :smile:) is not overwhelmed with the new UCI leadership:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20140506_01094874&edit-text=

Funny coincidence he chose the (infamous) Tour of Turkey to make an appearance

Pretty feeble stuff.

Curiously his main criticsim of Cookson is that he's considering changes to the Lugano chartger restricting bikes to more or less traditional setups. That's a pretty weak charge: that he's daring even to consider change.

Further, he goes on to criticise Cookson for being too close to Chris Boardman, a bike manufacturer, who invented the superman position for TT. Now, again my memory may be at fault but weren't the "superman" and "praying mantis" positions innovations from Obree, not Boardman?

Apart from being possibly incorrect in its details, that could potentially be a valid criticism. But a conflict of interest charge is pretty rich from Pat ... but we've been there before.

Anyway - the potential changes to the Lugano thingy - the business implications like UCI raising revenue from certification, excess bureaucracy etc, and the broader philosophical implications for the sport - could make an interesting discussion ... in another thread.

U

User169

Anyone been following the JDD allegations re Froome's TUE?

UCI needs to get a grip quickly as they're no looking too clever at the moment.

Cookson needs to stop arguing on Twitter with Kimmage and either explain how the UCI is compliant with WADA's TUEC guidelines or 'fess up that they're not compliant and get it sorted.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
--------^--------- I was going to mention that ugly little spat blowing up too. Cookson is coming over a bit spin doctor in his answering hoping nobody will spot it and dig in. Unfortunately not. Too much suspicion of UCI still and Kimmage (IMO) fighting a rearguard action to remain a relevant figure as time and hopefully practices move forwards.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Anyone been following the JDD allegations re Froome's TUE?

UCI needs to get a grip quickly as they're no looking too clever at the moment.

Cookson needs to stop arguing on Twitter with Kimmage and either explain how the UCI is compliant with WADA's TUEC guidelines or 'fess up that they're not compliant and get it sorted.
I've only just seen this explode in the press after going quiet but it seems they don't have a TUE committee, so indefensible really from a WADA perspective and Walsh has laid into them now too.

U

User169

So glad you shared that with us, anyone would think................

:rolleyes:

U

User169

Instead of fast-tracking TUEs, they ought to fast-track rule changes as soon as it becomes obvious that they are needed! For example - banning the use of Tramadol.

Is the UCI allowed to do that, or does it have to wait for WADA?

U

User169

I've only just seen this explode in the press after going quiet but it seems they don't have a TUE committee, so indefensible really from a WADA perspective and Walsh has laid into them now too.

Walsh says Sky used to have a no TUE policy, but they deny they ever had such a policy.

Top Bottom