The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
p.s. Let's face it, half the fun of following pro-cycling in the last few years has been seeing twats like Menchov, Rasmussen, Landis, Hamilton, Armstrong, Ullrich, Ricco, Basso, Rebellin etc, get their come-uppance

Questions -
1. does any other sports governing body issue a press release when one of their competitors gets a non-negative result?
2. Does any other sports body operate a bio-passport system?
Answers to 1 is probably no. Answer to 2 is don't know.

So why should cycling issue press releases saying "we caught one". I've not seen UK Sport/UKADA doing this, and they cover all sports. But they do have a list on the website. Which seems fair enough, even if it only makes people look who really want to find out, as opposed to a release and all the uninformed/ignorant feel the need to comment. Who knows how many weightlifters tested non-negative for steroids, for example? No idea? You can look it up, but their NGB does not send out a "please kick us in the nuts" press release.

Part of Cookson's pledge was to be more transparent. Not mine, his.

oldroadman

Veteran
Part of Cookson's pledge was to be more transparent. Not mine, his.
True and I fail to see that he isn't. Being transparent does not mean shouting every time a miscreant is caught, but it is putting on a public section of the website we can all view, if we are interested.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
True and I fail to see that he isn't. Being transparent does not mean shouting every time a miscreant is caught, but it is putting on a public section of the website we can all view, if we are interested.
I take your point too ORM. It's just a question of how you view transparency.

It probably would have helped if there had been some kind of announcement beforehand along the lines of "we are no longer making announcements but all details will be available via the webpage - if you're interested" or suchlike. Rather than someone noticing Menchov's name and then notifying of the change.

resal

Veteran
Err I think I disagree. Anyway going with your brand of logic - can you please explain why he was caught in May 2013 but it only appeared on the transparent, but nobody knew about it, website in June of this year. For all I know Phillip Windsor has tested positive on the Mal 400m handicap dash that took place last week and has been banned but his name won't appear until September 2015.

Has Makarov got his hands on some sensitive parts of anatomy ?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Given that A Scheck was awarded the race after Bertie's mis-steak, but was clearly juiced - it seems that Sammy Sanchez was the winner of the 2010 TdF then.

The Couch

Über Member
Given that A Scheck was awarded the race after Bertie's mis-steak, but was clearly juiced - it seems that Sammy Sanchez was the winner of the 2010 TdF then.
Don't go there, the way that thinking is going, Wiggins, Evans, well... perhaps even Jensie could be the "real winner" of that Tour ;)

Back on topic, I do feel this was - at minimum - very badly managed... but let's see what the future brings qua doping releases/discoveries

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
"Speaking in an exclusive interview at his summer home on the Tuscan coast after a ride in the nearby hills..."

Sounds more like Hello magazine than a cycling journal.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Mr Saxoff-Tinko isnae happy with him:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exclusive-tinkov-ready-for-legal-battle-with-the-uci

He does make some valid points in amongst the usual ramblings.
He does have some points and the UCI does come over as amateurish and making up rules on the hoof ....
... but Kreuziger is guilty as hell and has been smelling fishy for some time. It would be irritating if he got results that would later be annulled when the case is finally heard. Cookson is keen to get these BP cases sorted quicker in future.

Top Bottom