The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

resal

Veteran
It is even worse than I suggested - in Nov 13, at The Wegelius thread, I brought up this rather uncomfortable fact.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/charly-wegelius.143595/
......I am sorry I don't sing the same happy tune ................

OK so we have had all the Yates, Leinders and de Jong, talk. Let's cast our eyes somewhere no one has looked before.

Take a guy like shown in the twitter feed below. Just the latest twitter feed tells you everything you need to fear. This is the guy who was sat in the car with Emma O'Reilly when she transported Lance's drugs to Girona from Belgium. He has been in the sport for a lifetime. O'Reilly might not think its such a big deal doing the run, but Lillistone knows exactly what he is engaged in. Pals with Herety, Wegelius and Southam. This is post the Festina bust of 1998 and the time of whacky events like when the wife of Rumsas was left to rot in jail for several months after the French Police caught her carrying EPO, despite all her claims that they were not for her Pro-cyclist husband, but rather for her poor sick mother. Rumsas, all balls and macho man did a runner and left her to her fate. Lillistone knew exactly what he was doing for Lance. The guy finished his cycling career and then worked for within British Cycling like Herety, Brailsford (Herety's manager) and the rest of the pack.

Lilistone could have exposed Lance at any stage. He kept quiet.

O'Reilly talks to Walsh. Walsh publishes. Lance goes for her. Walsh stands accused of publishing lies. Walsh contacts Lilistone. Lilistone doesn't want to get involved ! Sure thing he doesn't. Eventually, according to Walsh, he cries on the phone. Yes, sure thing Lillistone cries. The guy has about as much spine as Rumsas. The manager for Cycling at the London 2012 games and a 2 times Olympian knows exactly why he is crying. But it is only 2004. Eight years later this guy will be another cog wheel in the machine of "marginal gains".

Do you need me to spell it out ? Is Lance the only guy he knows, first hand, who is taking drugs ? The guy went to two OG, he was there as EPO ripped into the sport. Why do you think those in positions to employ him close to the sport, chose to employ him close to the sport ? Look not so much where they have come from but how they have arrived there.Guys like Lilistone, Herety, Wegelius, Southam and Millar are not the problem. For every one that is exposed, there is another in the queue behind to take their place. Its the buffoons above them who can't be bothered to look at what is happening under their noses and who then make it even more difficult to expose the cheats. Did Cookson call him in in 2004, as Lance sued Walsh, and make a formal inquiry in relation to Lilistone's role in this illegal act ? As an employer and with a duty of care to the riders in the GB squad, Cookson certainly should have done. Instead Lillistone just gets promoted and the whole thing brushed under the carpet. "Team GB, we are all clean here. Boardman was the only clean guy riding in his day."
  1. Simon Lillistone ‏@simonlillistone 4h
    @johnherety @tomsoutham Compact chainsets hadn't been heard of in those days! Great photo.

5:57 AM - 24 Nov 13 · Details " data-mentions="RealStephens RoddyRiddle sportivephoto Chris_Boardman 1Dodgygeeza cnewton753" data-you-follow="false" data-you-block="false">
    41d4cfd751ca36498c02362a337295b4_normal.jpe Simon Lillistone ‏@simonlillistone 24 Nov
    @RealStephens @RoddyRiddle @sportivephoto @Chris_Boardman @1Dodgygeeza @cnewton753 used to drive 1cm off the bumper of lorries at 60 on mway

I'll leave you to your thoughts. Mine obviously disturb a lot of people.
Did Charlie Wegelius ride clean ? As I said. It is like religion. ...... I am sure it sucks that I don't join in and even worse, that I sound a discordant note.

Now have a look what O'Reily has to say about this time.
http://www.podiumcafe.com/book-corner/2014/7/7/5876617/the-race-to-truth-by-emma-oreilly
When her ex-husband Simon Lillistone was asked to testify in support of one of the stories O'Reilly told Walsh, about ferrying drugs for Armstrong, he refused. He was now part of British Cycling - his boss was Brian Cookson - and neither he nor they wanted the bad PR confirming the story would bring. When she met Cookson in 2013 - after he'd announced he was running for the presidency of the UCI on a clean broom ticket - O'Reilly told him he should have stood up for her in 2004: "I needed only one person to back up my story. If in 2004 you'd made Simon come out and admit what had happened, all this could have come out. Cycling could have been cleaned up way back. You could have done something great."

Instead the politician without a spine didn't want the bad publicity.

Oh - look now - it is the new clean Cookson era.

Look at that bunch of names on that twitter account. I couldn't stand listening to five live and the coverage of the Tour over the week-end. Every time expert sumariser Rob Hayles spoke I thought "EPO".

OP
OP
C

Crackle

It's a big assumption Resal, that Cookson somehow pressured him about this. Lillistone was another source for Walsh, true but one does not lead to the other.

resal

Veteran
It's a big assumption Resal, that Cookson somehow pressured him about this. Lillistone was another source for Walsh, true but one does not lead to the other.
I'm not saying that, but O'Reilly, who has first hand information, is suggesting is the case. I agree, I doubt he did anything of the sort but some of his staff did. He probably did nothing - which is exactly what a good CE does not do.
Can you imagine the boss of a cycling organisation, in 2004, not being aware of the contents of LA confidential that year - the biggest sporting scandal ever to hit your sport. And if you knew one of the key bits of evidence was the testimony of a soigneur and you employed her ex-partner on a full-time basis at the heart of your organisation and he was an professional throughout the time EPO went gang-busters; and even if O'Reilly stated at the time she did not know what was in the brown bag she was driving over 1,000 miles to hand deliver for Lance, Lillestone would have to have known; then only a complete cretin would not have convened an investigation team to gather information for the board.

You would have to be deliberately not going out of your way, not to look. And that, my friend, is what our friend Brian very obviously did.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm assuming that the passport only came in in time for the TdF in 2009, i.e. just before the Giro? Knowledgeable people should be able to confirm or dismiss this.
It was introduced in 2008, but as you said it might be the irregularity appeared after the Giro, which I doubt as he was clearly juiced during it.

oldroadman

Veteran
Questions -
1. does any other sports governing body issue a press release when one of their competitors gets a non-negative result?
2. Does any other sports body operate a bio-passport system?
Answers to 1 is probably no. Answer to 2 is don't know.

So why should cycling issue press releases saying "we caught one". I've not seen UK Sport/UKADA doing this, and they cover all sports. But they do have a list on the website. Which seems fair enough, even if it only makes people look who really want to find out, as opposed to a release and all the uninformed/ignorant feel the need to comment. Who knows how many weightlifters tested non-negative for steroids, for example? No idea? You can look it up, but their NGB does not send out a "please kick us in the nuts" press release.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Questions -
1. does any other sports governing body issue a press release when one of their competitors gets a non-negative result?
2. Does any other sports body operate a bio-passport system?
Answers to 1 is probably no. Answer to 2 is don't know.

So why should cycling issue press releases saying "we caught one". I've not seen UK Sport/UKADA doing this, and they cover all sports. But they do have a list on the website. Which seems fair enough, even if it only makes people look who really want to find out, as opposed to a release and all the uninformed/ignorant feel the need to comment. Who knows how many weightlifters tested non-negative for steroids, for example? No idea? You can look it up, but their NGB does not send out a "please kick us in the nuts" press release.
None of them have the image of cycling to put behind them. None of them made a pledge of transparency or to deal with the history of the sport. Moving to such a system seems premature and naive.

A survey in France revealed ony 16% of the public thoight this tour would end without a doping scandal.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
None of them have the image of cycling to put behind them. None of them made a pledge of transparency or to deal with the history of the sport. Moving to such a system seems premature and naive.

A survey in France revealed ony 16% of the public thoight this tour would end without a doping scandal.
I agree with your point but weight-lifting has a dodgy past at least as poor as cycling:smile:

Top Bottom