The cost of a single railway ticket.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think Gavroche's family just make stuff up cos they know it'll set him off on a rant
As he said, he's French, not only French but living in a foreign country and not only living in a foreign country but in Rhyl for farks sake. I think he's quite restrained really. Good job he doesn't order out for pizzas. We all know where that would go.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can get some bargains if you travel off peak. I recently travelled from London to Sheffield for £21 single first class, using Trainline.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Mmm I know our trains are cheaper than Britains, but that sounds a little too cheap. A quick check with Deutsche Bahn shows that Hannover to Köln, roughly the same distance, will cost me 125 Euros tomorrow. That's first class on an ICE, the high speed trains. Booking in advance really wouldn't reduce that by much. It's only about 85 km's to the Baltic from Hamburg as well. 300km will take almost the entire length of the coast.

One bargain though is my monthly travelcard that I pay 170 Euros for. For that price I do a 60km round trip on the train. It also covers the entire tram network in Hannover and evenings and weekends another adult can travel for free with me.

The other upside is the quality of our trains, certainly better than the British equivalent. Quite ironic given Deutsche Bahn also run services in Britain!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
About 18 months ago we got first class tickets from Edinburgh to sunny Hertfordshire.
They gave us a three course meal and alcohol, and (obviously) carried us for 360 miles or so.
£40. Travel, food and getting pissed. £40, booking ahead.
And, getting from home to Swansea and back. £91.
Second class, granted, but that's a walk-up, flexible off-peak ticket. I could go and do that right this second.

Glenn

Veteran
I travelled down to London last week on the 08.37 from Stafford with an open one month return for £39, To get into London around the same time from Telford was £202 return, I would like to know what justifies the price difference.

U

User482

Can I do my "Good Moaning" gag again?
maxresdefault.jpg

Garry A

Calibrating.....
It's our stations that are a disgrace. I went for a pee in Stirling station toilets, some manky git had choked the pan with s**t and bog roll and it was spilling over the floor.

I had to pee in the sink.

;)

Drago

Legendary Member
Sneaky tip. The disabled toilets at the big stations are usually fairly clean because they don't get so much traffic through them. However, you need a RADAR key to use them - Mrs D has one.

Interestingly, the keys are only a couple of quid on eBay and anyone can buy them.

Tin Pot

Guru
Pure greed I think.

£25 single from Hastings to Petts Wood two days ago.

~80km

As for pure greed, I can't be bothered to argue. Yes, the railway companies are rolling in piles of profits, laughing at customers and shareholders alike while they quaff champagne.

Bloody hell @gavroche
Is there anything you don't moan about?
I think I might be careful if I were you.

There must be countless threads on CC complaining about UK rail prices/pricing "policies", or offering advice on using split-ticketing, or a heads-up for FNRttC riders for cheap tickets.

Ah ... but this is a Frenchman here! Worse, a Frenchy living in Wales!

Have you ever seen so many posts in one thread extolling the easy bargains to be had on the British rail system? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last laugh? To @gavroche :laugh:

Top Bottom