The cycle wave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this a UK thing only?

I`ve been out in Majorca cycling and every time I passed someone, I would do the customary wave. However, the amount of people that waved backed would probably have only been about a third.

Now, this isn`t a boo hoo, no one waved at me because it happens here too but not to such an extent, I just thought it may be some exclusive to our shores

Or maybe they really didnt like me lol

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
No I noticed it in the NL too. Perhaps it’s just so normal it’s not considered a ‘club’. Friendlier in France and Spain. Africa? Prepare to get mobbed!

But we are learning no? Loads of people here don’t greet me in return for my cheer and good nature. That’s progress.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try driving a rare vehicle like a proper square Land Rover, especially an elderly one. The correct way to greet a fellow aficionado is merely to raise a finger off the steering wheel. Any stronger gesture would be gauche.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Is this a UK thing only?

I`ve been out in Majorca cycling and every time I passed someone, I would do the customary wave.
I live in the UK but have never felt obliged to give a "customary wave", I may acknowledge the presence of some cyclists who are otherwise unknown to me, but they would need to fit my specific conditions for being deserving of a wave.
I think it is only because leisure cyclists are so few and far between in much of the UK that this waving thing goes on.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Awaits the arrival of @ianrauk and his:

kerching.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ooh a welcome return. It's been a while. The penny jar is a bit empty at the moment.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Do you wave at every pedestrian you pass in the street? Waving only works if it is a fairly infrequent encounter. Remember being on a walk and saying hello to the first rambler I met, then the second, by the 50th I just smiled or nodded head, by the 100th it was down to just eye gestures...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Try driving a rare vehicle like a proper square Land Rover, especially an elderly one. The correct way to greet a fellow aficionado is merely to raise a finger off the steering wheel. Any stronger gesture would be gauche.
That’s because it takes a brave person to take a whole hand off the steering wheel whilst wrestling with old Land Rover :laugh:

dodgy

20 years ago, waving at other cyclists seemed the thing to do, because they were also part of the same stupid, tiny, unconventional section of society as you.
Now there's cyclists everywhere, I just want to ride my bike, not wave at people.

If you're broke down at the side of the road, I'll always stop to offer help, and if you wave at me, I'll wave back. But that's it I'm afraid.

Top Bottom