The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seek help ask an ad-visor

david k

Hi
What I really object to is the people who wade in calling everyone who doesn't wear one a moron and being rude about it, and people who deliberately mislead people about the evidence. Those people should get one mod warning and then a thread ban IMO.

Not trying to be funny here Ben but you could equally say,

What I really object to is the people who wade in calling everyone who does wear one a moron and being rude about it, and people who deliberately mislead people about the evidence. Those people should get one mod warning and then a thread ban IMO

Courtesy costs nothing and this works both ways, shame it's often neglected on this thread, to be fair most forums for that matter!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not trying to be funny here Ben but you could equally say,

What I really object to is the people who wade in calling everyone who does wear one a moron and being rude about it, and people who deliberately mislead people about the evidence. Those people should get one mod warning and then a thread ban IMO
You are being funny though. Who's calling who morons for wearing or not wearing? There's various people objecting to having been called morons elsewhere, or saying that particular lines of argument were moronic, but my search found only gds58 calling non-wearers morons in this thread.

The mods are pretty good and may have deleted some, but the insults I've seen do tend to be one-way-traffic directed at non-wearers before they get deleted, like they do on most sites, or in real life. Can you cite any examples of helmet users being called morons on here, please?

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Care to link to the most egregious example?
I was wondering this.
Of course I cannot recall every post, but my imprecise memory is that a significant proportion of the pro argument was emotionally based and more prone to calling those of a different mindset idiots or the like whilst even the more animated anti posts were at worst sarcastic or perhaps exasperated. My memory is notoriously unreliable though, so an example or two could correct it.

I'm making egregious my word of the day ^_^

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Maybe not those exact words GC,

Even speaking in general terms, I don't recall anyone ever criticising someone for choosing to wear a helmet; perhaps their unsubstantiated, miraculous life-saving claims or calls to make them compulsory but not the choice to wear one.

but certainly posters with opposing views have been equally rude or obnoxious regardless of view at different times on here. I was looking to point out that if courtesy is expected one way it should be equally expected the other.

Aye, well, it's the internet...

GC

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Even speaking in general terms, I don't recall anyone ever criticising someone for choosing to wear a helmet; perhaps their unsubstantiated, miraculous life-saving claims or calls to make them compulsory but not the choice to wear one.
Oh, I'll criticise them for it. I aim for a polite suggestion that they're mistaken and unhelpful rather than a rude insult, though. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom