The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you know which manufacturers say this? I've only ever had Giro helmets and they sell caps/hats which they say may be worn under a helmet.

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/products/accessories/caps.html/

Specialized :
"Do not wear anything underneath your helmet, such as a cap, hood, bundled hair, headphones, barrettes, as the helmet may loosen or come off."

Bell :
YOU SHOULD NEVER:
"5. Wear anything under your helmet."

Giro are more specific...
"4) DON’T Wear anything hard or sharp under your helmet."

Last edited:
U

User169

Specialized :
"Do not wear anything underneath your helmet, such as a cap, hood, bundled hair, headphones, barrettes, as the helmet may loosen or come off."

Bell :
"5. Wear anything under your helmet."

Thanks. In relation to Bell: do or do not?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suppose it makes sense up to a point, although I'd have thought that a thick barnet would compromise fit more than a tight fitting cycle cap.
I think it's more to do with the helmet moving around more easily in the event of a collision (as suggested by Spesh's wording) and at least hair is usually anchored into the scalp (unless you're Donald Trump).

Helmet manufacturers don't so much stand behind their product as try to hide from it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think it's more to do with the helmet moving around more easily in the event of a collision (as suggested by Spesh's wording) and at least hair is usually anchored into the scalp (unless you're Donald Trump).

Agreed, Donald's hair is unusually anchored ....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Here's someone I used to ride with regularly, wearing a thick knitted hat under her helmet, which was always pushed right back on her head ready to strangle her in any collision. She insisted that, even though this arrangement was admittedly not ideal, it would still be 'better than nothing'. There was no reasoning with such unreasoning, unfounded faith, but I used to worry that her headgear would be the death of her one day.
View attachment 140853
I don't think the full surgical face mask is going to help either ....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do you know which manufacturers say this?
In addition to those already posted:

Kask: "Never wear anything under your helmet except for a winter cap accessory specifically designed for your helmet and supplied by your helmet manufacturer." (way to corner that winter cap market, Kask!)

Trek/Bontrager: "Anything between your head and the helmet can reduce the protection. A cap, scarf, or even some high-volume hairstyles might allow the helmet to move during an impact. Barrettes, headphones, or anything else under your helmet can injure you if the helmet is impacted."

Giant: "YOU SHOULD NEVER ... Wear anything under your helmet"

Generally, helmet manufacturers clearly say that even the pathetic warranties that they do offer (if your loved ones can prove that a defective helmet contributed to your demise and have proof of purchase, they might get the price of the helmet back!) are voided in the case of product misuse - presumably such as having "high-volume hairstyles" under it. Do we know of anyone ever successfully claiming for a crashed defective helmet?

Poc helmets don't seem to have a manual online. I guess Poc helmets don't care about informing customers and don't want them to know the restrictions on Poc helmet use until after they've got the money! ;)

Top Bottom