The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
£219. And nothing on the website about any sort of testing at all (real world or lab) so far as I can see.

A very expensive fashion accessory.
Oh they've done testing, there's some video's of a game chap in a yellow suit on the site.

I confess to losing interest after only the first one about kerbs though so whether they are to any accepted standard I leave to those with more stamina for grinding through something I would normally only see under a facebook heading of "You must see this, funniest thing EVER!.." that you are then unsurprised to find isn't.

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Oh they've done testing, there's some video's of a game chap in a yellow suit on the site.

I confess to losing interest after only the first one about kerbs though so whether they are to any accepted standard I leave to those with more stamina for grinding through something I would normally only see under a facebook heading of "You must see this, funniest thing EVER!.." that you are then unsurprised to find isn't.
I shall think about perhaps taking a very quick look later.... If I can be bothered.

I don't suppose any of them are written up well enough to replicate or compare with other products?

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
I shall think about perhaps taking a very quick look later.... If I can be bothered.

I don't suppose any of them are written up well enough to replicate or compare with other products?

There's more than one source of this type of device you could compare it to? :eek:.

I honestly mean no offence to @biggs682 or anyone else who has considered these (or even bought one). And I accept that some practical equipment has come from originally left field ideas. But for the moment I'm still trying to digest the notion that this really isn't from some latterday Monty Python or Spinal Tap homage.

Looks like one of those 1970's hair driers

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I honestly mean no offence to @biggs682 or anyone else who has considered these (or even bought one). And I accept that some practical equipment has come from originally left field ideas. But for the moment I'm still trying to digest the notion that this really isn't from some latterday Monty Python or Spinal Tap homage.

no offence taken so dont worry , it looked interesting to me and still does in all fairness

whether i would use it or not i dont know but sooner or later i think this sought of helmet could be compulsory

stearman65

As a compromise I've ordered one of these. The colour matches the bike, after all one has to be fashion conscious.:dance:
, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200824979...49&var=500669816628&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
& one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121357692801?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
will get the wife to sew them together & see how things work out. Already ordered a high vis' jacket, unfortunately I didn't notice the elbow & knee pads I'd ordered were from China so won't arrive for a couple of weeks.:reading:

In addition to those already posted:

Kask: "Never wear anything under your helmet except for a winter cap accessory specifically designed for your helmet and supplied by your helmet manufacturer." (way to corner that winter cap market, Kask!)

Trek/Bontrager: "Anything between your head and the helmet can reduce the protection. A cap, scarf, or even some high-volume hairstyles might allow the helmet to move during an impact. Barrettes, headphones, or anything else under your helmet can injure you if the helmet is impacted."

Giant: "YOU SHOULD NEVER ... Wear anything under your helmet"

Generally, helmet manufacturers clearly say that even the pathetic warranties that they do offer (if your loved ones can prove that a defective helmet contributed to your demise and have proof of purchase, they might get the price of the helmet back!) are voided in the case of product misuse - presumably such as having "high-volume hairstyles" under it. Do we know of anyone ever successfully claiming for a crashed defective helmet?

Poc helmets don't seem to have a manual online. I guess Poc helmets don't care about informing customers and don't want them to know the restrictions on Poc helmet use until after they've got the money! ;)
"High volume hairstyles"......
Laura Trott is going to have problems

Top Bottom