The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Even the government can't be that stupid.

just look at some of the health & safety laws that both the uk goverment and the eu have subjected us too

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
just look at some of the health & safety laws that both the uk goverment and the eu have subjected us too
Really? I don't suppose you'd like to give examples? In my experience, h&s law is quite reasonable.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Really? I don't suppose you'd like to give examples? In my experience, h&s law is quite reasonable.

PEDAL POWER MAD

Being a police officer is a dangerous job. From violent offenders to highspeed pursuits, we all know the risks.

But you wouldn't think cycling would be one of them. But Cheshire Police had other ideas, and last year forced all officers to pass a cycling proficiency test before they could go on patrol on bikes.

Tory MP Philip Davies described the rule as ridiculous.

srw

PEDAL POWER MAD

Being a police officer is a dangerous job. From violent offenders to highspeed pursuits, we all know the risks.

But you wouldn't think cycling would be one of them. But Cheshire Police had other ideas, and last year forced all officers to pass a cycling proficiency test before they could go on patrol on bikes.

Tory MP Philip Davies described the rule as ridiculous.
You think it's unreasonable to train people for their job? Crikey.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You think it's unreasonable to train people for their job? Crikey.

no training is fine , believe you me i have to do loads of it just to sit and answer a phone and use a pc all day

it really is crazy latest one is we are not allowed metal tea spoons so we have to use wooden ones that could be sharpened and used as a knife or sharp implement

srw

no training is fine , believe you me i have to do loads of it just to sit and answer a phone and use a pc all day

it really is crazy latest one is we are not allowed metal tea spoons so we have to use wooden ones that could be sharpened and used as a knife or sharp implement
And which law enacts this edict and what is the context?

(@Moderators - forgive the apparent diversion. I suspect it's quite relevant.)

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
As a compromise I've ordered one of these. The colour matches the bike, after all one has to be fashion conscious.:dance:
, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200824979575?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=500669816628&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T
& one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121357692801?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T
will get the wife to sew them together & see how things work out. Already ordered a high vis' jacket, unfortunately I didn't notice the elbow & knee pads I'd ordered were from China so won't arrive for a couple of weeks.:reading:
My spidey senses are twitching.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And which law enacts this edict and what is the context?

(@Moderators - forgive the apparent diversion. I suspect it's quite relevant.)
its not a law its just showing how silly i think some of the health and safety rules are

we obviously will not agree so lets call it quits at that

srw

I shall think about perhaps taking a very quick look later.... If I can be bothered.

I don't suppose any of them are written up well enough to replicate or compare with other products?
upload_2016-8-23_21-51-13.png

That appears to be the entire set of references. The claims about improved protection in use are entirely based on one set of tests carried out by one insurance company. They've been updated since: https://www.folksam.se/media/folksam-bicycle-helmet-test-2015_tcm5-24933.pdf. There are also quite a lot of unsubstantiated and emotive claims...

The videos also show what @theclaud points out - the thing will trigger in circumstances where perhaps it really shouldn't. I'm not sure I'd want to spunk over £200 on something which appears to register any mild off as a very risky occurrence.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
View attachment 141043
That appears to be the entire set of references. The claims about improved protection in use are entirely based on one set of tests carried out by one insurance company. They've been updated since: https://www.folksam.se/media/folksam-bicycle-helmet-test-2015_tcm5-24933.pdf. There are also quite a lot of unsubstantiated and emotive claims...

The videos also show what @theclaud points out - the thing will trigger in circumstances where perhaps it really shouldn't. I'm not sure I'd want to spunk over £200 on something which appears to register any mild off as a very risky occurrence.

Just to be clear, this thing went off with no apparent trigger at all - just riding gently along on an even surface. I think they are completely bonkers, although on the plus side they look less ridiculous than conventional lids (before they go bang, that is - afterwards they look completely mental). But even if I were into this stuff, there's no way I'd wear a mahoosive collar, for comfort reasons.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Just to be clear, this thing went off with no apparent trigger at all - just riding gently along on an even surface. I think they are completely bonkers, although on the plus side they look less ridiculous than conventional lids (before they go bang, that is - afterwards they look completely mental). But even if I were into this stuff, there's no way I'd wear a mahoosive collar, for comfort reasons.

But this is no ordinary mahoosive collar! This is one stuffed full of explosives! Sodium azide, in fact (plus a few additives intended to deal with the molten sodium produced when it detonates). Which, in addition to being one of the more sensitive explosives, also happens to be more toxic than cyanide. Not the sort of thing I'd be keen to be strapping round my neck TVM....

Top Bottom