The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Over 13% of Dutch cyclists, less than 0·1% wear helmets, are hospitalised due to head injury. That's a figure given for cyclists as a whole. Those who wear helmets, and those that don't. Which is correct, they can't all be.
Sorry can you repeat that, I'm not arguing with the numbers I just don't understand it.

Should it read

Over 13% of Dutch cyclists, (of which less than 1% wear helmets), are hospitalised due to head injury. That's a figure given for cyclists as a whole. Those who wear helmets, and those that don't. Which is correct, they can't all be.[

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry can you repeat that, I'm not arguing with the numbers I just don't understand it.

Should it read

Over 13% of Dutch cyclists, (of which less than 1% wear helmets), are hospitalised due to head injury. That's a figure given for cyclists as a whole. Those who wear helmets, and those that don't. Which is correct, they can't all be.[
The first part giving the percentages was a straight cut and paste from two seperate sites. Identical figures given, only one put it across cyclists as a whole. The second across those not wearing them.

To me, identical wording, indicates another straight copy of a set of figures. To suit their requirements.

The figure that matters I feel, is the one for those that required hospitalisation as a result of injury. Which ever set the figures/facts are for.

Research released this year throws most of what has been said on here up in the air.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/...ave-85-cycling-fatalities-a-year-says-report/

Last edited by a moderator:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Who the hell really cares whether people wear helmets or not? Use one if you want and don't bother about those of us who don't.
Yeah. Because there hasn't been 40 odd years of anxious debate and 359 pages in this thread alone to argue about it.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
The only people I see with no lids are the real old boys.
You mean the ones with decades of relevant experience?

Milzy

Guru
My Kids' school has recently sent out a letter informing us they will be considering adding helmets to the uniform policy when cycling.

They asked for opinions. Ive just written them a 505 word letter why they shouldn't.
Great, they will take no notice of it.

Top Bottom