The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Ford 2.2 (125 bhp transit) is agricultural compared to the VW 2.0 TDI (140) imho.
Although in the Freelander it might be higher power and in a lighter body less laboured.

SafetyThird

Hadn’t seen this thread before. I live on a farm in Devon and have a 19 year old Toyota Landcruiser. Currently at 175k miles, it should be good for another decade at least by which time it’ll be past 250k I expect. i need something that will tow a 3 tonne trailer of livestock across a field and up and down Devon hills in all weathers.

I use it as an occasional 1-man camper van, and throw the wife and dogs in when we tow the old caravan once in a while. It’s mostly solid steel and very recyclable. The carbon footprint amortised out over a 30 year life span would put most EV’s to shame I expect.

Just last week I had a knock on my door and a chap with a little transit van asked if I had a big 4wd. He was working at a neighbours place doing some digging with a mini digger and discovered that his transit wouldn’t tow the digger trailer up their drive to the main road. Two minute job for this thing. Every winter I end up towing a few folks who’ve got their cars stuck in deep water or who’ve gone onto a verge by going too fast for the winter conditions and can’t get back on the road.

Bloody love my truck 😁

IMG_0615.jpeg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Hadn’t seen this thread before. I live on a farm in Devon and have a 19 year old Toyota Landcruiser. Currently at 175k miles, it should be good for another decade at least by which time it’ll be past 250k I expect. i need something that will tow a 3 tonne trailer of livestock across a field and up and down Devon hills in all weathers.

I use it as an occasional 1-man camper van, and throw the wife and dogs in when we tow the old caravan once in a while. It’s mostly solid steel and very recyclable. The carbon footprint amortised out over a 30 year life span would put most EV’s to shame I expect.

Just last week I had a knock on my door and a chap with a little transit van asked if I had a big 4wd. He was working at a neighbours place doing some digging with a mini digger and discovered that his transit wouldn’t tow the digger trailer up their drive to the main road. Two minute job for this thing. Every winter I end up towing a few folks who’ve got their cars stuck in deep water or who’ve gone onto a verge by going too fast for the winter conditions and can’t get back on the road.

Bloody love my truck 😁

View attachment 724997

A landie will get you to the outback ...

A land cruiser will get you home again...!!🤣

Ford 2.2 (125 bhp transit) is agricultural compared to the VW 2.0 TDI (140) imho.
Although in the Freelander it might be higher power and in a lighter body less laboured.
@Jameshow
Similar BHP, but more torque from the FL (290ib/ft)
@Richard A Thackeray Any idea what's special about the Brown Defender on at £37.5k
@Jody
A very early example, the One-Ten first went on sale on ‘Y registration’
There’s a lot of money been spent on it mechanically, with a 4.6 litre replacement engine, instead of the original 3.5litre (@ 114BHP)
Without re-opening the link, I think it has a replacement (galvanised) chassis
I’ve seen dearer One-Tens, but in far better condition; almost concours
(original too, not rebuilt)

To Be Pedantic
The ‘Defender’ name only came about with the figment of the 200Tdi in 1990. & continues to this day

Jody

Stubborn git
To Be Pedantic
The ‘Defender’ name only came about with the figment of the 200Tdi in 1990. & continues to this day

Pedantry accepted. It was before I started in the trade so refer to all of them as Defenders.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Pedantry accepted. It was before I started in the trade so refer to all of them as Defenders.

Agree. They may look near identical but the differences are manifold and significant.

Round these parts pre Defenders dressed up with Defender badges are known as Offenders. Sadly many owners are too thick to even understand themselves what they actually have.

Top Bottom