The Cyclechat Radio Shack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Started off on the CB myself, then did some swl, was really fascinated as a kid by the numbers stations such as the Lincolnshire poacher, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24910397, then progressed to a class B Ham licence, however I let it slip as when the kids came along as I didn't have the time to go on air, also remember the first time I heard a "CQ Aurora" whilst on headphones on my Yaesu FT290R, I thought it was a poltergeist or something, really freaky, need to have a look at it again, get sorted with reinstating my call sign, was a G7.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, I'm a M1, just missed out on having to do Morse for HF access.

DRM is a cracking user name for a radio enthusiast.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
GM7 station^_^
Presently occasionally doing JT65, JT9 with odd PSK session on HF bands..
WSPR although not much due to doing UHF stuff (see below)
Member RSGB, GQRP and SOC..

Been doing the SDR dongle stuff since the start(did my first blog post on it in July 2012)..
More playing with ADS-B for the last few months..

Hilltop stuff?
Been doing SOTA since '09 although a lot less in last two years,
lack of driving licence kinda kills that, operated in GM, G and GW lands on high.
Once missus retires, getting back on the hills..

Occasionally throw the 4m FM handie (2m and 70cm too) in bike bar bag, stopping at high points en-route...

Great hobby:okay:

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
GM7 station^_^
Presently occasionally doing JT65, JT9 with odd PSK session on HF bands..
WSPR although not much due to doing UHF stuff (see below)
Member RSGB, GQRP and SOC..

Been doing the SDR dongle stuff since the start(did my first blog post on it in July 2012)..
More playing with ADS-B for the last few months..

Hilltop stuff?
Been doing SOTA since '09 although a lot less in last two years,
lack of driving licence kinda kills that, operated in GM, G and GW lands on high.
Once missus retires, getting back on the hills..

Occasionally throw the 4m FM handie (2m and 70cm too) in bike bar bag, stopping at high points en-route...

Great hobby:okay:

Not many high points along the canal here, & I live in a bit of a dip. Still got a G6 tho'.

Milzy

Guru
I started the C.B with a baby Midland, then a cobra but my best radio was a uniden with super low to super high. Used to ride the skip and pick up loads of countries. Had a massive G.P antenna mounted on a huge bracket rawl bolted to the house. Instead of revising for O levels I spent too much time on it. Also friends didn't have the other bands so I could have secret conversations with bad women.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Any of you boys tried digital? Might try one of the Mototrbo 70cm handies for a plat now they're getting cheaper.
2m, 70cm is a wasteland up here....dead.
A recent history of let's just say, bad operating has killed the two bands.
D-Star, Fusion etc. Nah, my handies are all basic, I'd a converted Motorola and resorted to just using the cheapo Chinese handie which is throw in the bag, if they drop etc they are cheap to replace. They are useless on some high points, front end filtering is non-existent.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
2m, 70cm is a wasteland up here....dead.
A recent history of let's just say, bad operating has killed the two bands.
D-Star, Fusion etc. Nah, my handies are all basic, I'd a converted Motorola and resorted to just using the cheapo Chinese handie which is throw in the bag, if they drop etc they are cheap to replace. They are useless on some high points, front end filtering is non-existent.

I've got a little Chinese job, trouble is modulation is so low people tell me I've no audio.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I've got a little Chinese job, trouble is modulation is so low people tell me I've no audio.
Cheap enough, I'd just buy another.
I've the ubiquitous Baofeng UV-5R.
It works.

Yaesu handies have got much cheaper, I paid much more for my VX6 than what they are charging now plus it does as a scanner. We have to thank the Chinese for getting prices down.
Working MM0HLQ on (850 x 638).jpg

Doing some SOTA work circa 2014, main hill was Buchaille Etive Mor (Glencoe). this was on Stob na Doire (Munro Top) at 3,300 ft. I was working another SOTA station on a hill above Arrochar. I'd promised my first hill would be the Buchaille after my 60th (9 month later I got there)

Last edited:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Cheap enough, I'd just buy another.
I've the ubiquitous Baofeng UV-5R.
It works.

Yaesu handies have got much cheaper, I paid much more for my VX6 than what they are charging now plus it does as a scanner. We have to thank the Chinese for getting prices down.
We got half a dozen UV-5Rs for our scout troop to use on expedition (using 2m small business license). They work a treat, especially if I'm on top of a hill with a 2m balun'd dipole on top of an 8m carp rod.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I got 2 x Bumfengs, use one as a back up SAR radio, programmed up with the ALSAR 16 freqs.
:okay:
I can pick up one SAR copter on ADS-B but use the MarineTraffic site to 'follow' the Scots ones on their travels, made up a Fleet of 5 so I can pop on and see what they are up to....
I've freqs loaded into the Bowfin but must check your set to see if they are the same....

Have a shuffty at Baofeng meanings HERE
Chinese taking the piss?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

yes I know its totally different but couldn't resist.

My best mate at school was the son of the fella that made that track, I'm not going to google it but think he went by the stage name of Roland deville...or something similar.

Got to google it now though, to see how good my memory was. His real surname was Phillips though, that I'm sure of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom