The Cyclechat Radio Shack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It would seem there are quite a few Hams, SWL's and scanner enthusiasts hereabouts.

It's about time we had out own thread to discuss our favourite cardigans, and whether Murray Mints are better than Weathers Originals.

I'm in locator IO92ND. Active on HF with PSK31, most particularly low power operating on 80 and 40. Also active on 2 and 70 for ragchewing, but also playing a bit with different modes on UHF as well recently. 10M, 11M, 2 and 70 in the car.

Do a fair bit of SWL and and have been playing quite successfully lately with RTL SDR.

So what are you doing?

Bern.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Pig Pen this here's Rubber Duck and I'm about to put the hammer down. Now I'm going to pick up the little screwdriver and the tweezers. 10-4.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The Enschede Web SDR at the Uni of Twente, NL is fun to have a play around with. For them what don't know, it's pretty much a radio receiver in the Netherlands you can tune remotely from your own PC.
Stuff like Radio Wales 882am, Scotland 810am and Ulster 1341 make it over there pretty well after dark.
BBC Essex somehow makes it over there too on 765 with just 500 watts - it is a remarkably clear channel which helps.
Further afield, on 819 and 864 Egypt is pretty strong and Milan on 900am. And if anyone knows what the test tone is on 846khz, please let me know, it's been bugging me for weeks! Short wave bands are fun to play around with too- especially the pirates at weekends between 6200 and 6400khz. And no, I don't get out much!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It would seem there are quite a few Hams, SWL's and scanner enthusiasts hereabouts.

It's about time we had out own thread to discuss our favourite cardigans, and whether Murray Mints are better than Weathers Originals.

I'm in locator IO92ND. Active on HF with PSK31, most particularly low power operating on 80 and 40. Also active on 2 and 70 for ragchewing, but also playing a bit with different modes on UHF as well recently. 10M, 11M, 2 and 70 in the car.

Do a fair bit of SWL and and have been playing quite successfully lately with RTL SDR.

So what are you doing?

Bern.

And I thought some of my HiFi posts were a bit esoteric for some cyclechatters.

I started out as a shortwave listener back in the 60s, qualified as a ham and was active on HF but in recent years the noise floor on voice first pushed me to data - PSK31 - and then eventually I gave up completely. Still have my 2m/70cm handheld but nowadays I'm more into listening and SDR.

I do miss shortwave listening via actual radio rather than internet. There's so much interference on shortwave now that online stations are just easier and less frustrating. I did buy a MW loop last year and am thinking of trying some dx-ing (trying to hear distant stations, for the non-radio-savvy readers). I have an old Realistic DX394 that gets fired up occasionally too.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
@Glow worm 846 on am? Any particular time of day?

From dusk normally, on 846 am, so it's coming in on skywave not groundwave. I can't hear it here, only sometimes on the Dutch WebSDR suggesting it's from east of there perhaps. Just checked again and it's either faded out or off now.

Talking of test tones (I'm a massive fan - and frankly- who isn't?!) The Algerians have been fiddling about with their monster tx on 891 since about November with a test tone so strong it sounds local after dark. It's been off for a couple of weeks now but will no doubt be back again soon. There are a couple of low power stations in Holland on that frequency and the Algerians must just blow them away! There's another, weaker test tone now on 594khz which I presume is also those pesky Algerians.*

*(Edit, just checked the medium wave guide and Algeria don't use 594khz so probably the 2 megawatt effort from Duba, Saudi Arabia)

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
When a kid our family was CB nuts, big antenna on the roof, all the cars had them, was brilliant. My brother used to stay up most nights talking to people all over the place, I can remember him talking to people from Azores, not sure if he got further transmissions than that.

Top Bottom