The Cyclechat Radio Shack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Cheap enough, I'd just buy another.
I've the ubiquitous Baofeng UV-5R.
It works.

That's the one, apparently they are notorious for bad audio (it's there but very low). I've also got an FT817, but that's a bit big for the bike.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
That's the one, apparently they are notorious for bad audio (it's there but very low). I've also got an FT817, but that's a bit big for the bike.
There is a fix but at that price..I've got fumble fingered in my aging years :laugh:
I have a cheap hand mike I occasionally use, it all depends what else is in my bar bag.
This site is a good read if buying anything Chinese related HERE

817s are great for working hilltop VHF and UHF, I used mine in the past but there is a lack of ssb activity so I just use handies on FM.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
817's are a perennial favourite, and with good reason. I moved up recently from an FT450D to an FT950. Gorgeous bit of kit, if a bit awkward to go /P with.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Talking of test tones (I'm a massive fan - and frankly- who isn't?!) The Algerians have been fiddling about with their monster tx on 891khz since about November with a test tone so strong it sounds local after dark. It's been off for a couple of weeks now but will no doubt be back again soon.

It's back on this evening test tone fans. Not quite as strong as before but still impressive.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well done Maggot!

I've just ordered a pair of Binatone Action 1100 walkie talkies, as they're legal to use in France and were driving down in a convoy of two cars in June.

Then afterwards I can take them apart and pep them up a little bie ;)

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I found a couple of those mini slinky spring things in a charity shop. Looks like I'll have to get the GDO out & do some resonance testing.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Some plastic conduit and some ali tubing make a pretty useful 70cm yagi
20170317_180246.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Been doing some SWL'ing while confined to barracks. Currently receiving All India radio on 7550, Cross Country Wireless SDR, SDR#, Watson active HF antenna.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Been doing some SWL'ing while confined to barracks. Currently receiving All India radio on 7550, Cross Country Wireless SDR, SDR#, Watson active HF antenna.

That's pretty good. There doesn't seem to be much left on SW nowadays that isn't religious or China. Not sure which is worse!

At weekends there's normally some good pirate activity between about 6210 and 7000khz though I've not checked for some time. After dark, some receivers can also pick up the mysterious 'missing' top end of the MW band above 1611khz. Anytwhere up to about 1700khz especially at weekends there are normally a few Dutch pirates operating playing usually either trad Dutch folk music or rock among other things. A lot of the presenters normally sound fairly 'refreshed' especially later on!

Top Bottom