The Cyclechat Radio Shack

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Drago, 7 Feb 2017.

1. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

Not from my flat, but i can when wife takes me mobile and also will be able to when i go trike mobile. I do have a DVdongle but i prefer rf into a repeater.

Drago likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

BTW, my QTH is IO92ND.

m6mal likes this.
  3. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

IO92pj is my locator, I have just swapped my 2013 yaesu ft857d for a 2016 Yaesu FT817nd boxed with all the accesories which come with it, only did the swap last sunday and tried it out today on my limited wire lol it is around 60 odd feet long and runs horizontal along a wall 9ft off the grouind fed by a 9 to 1 unun in the private car park. I managed to work GM7V this afternoon on 5 watts and as the radio is small i think i have now found a friend to use on my trike when time permits as i am still blinging my trike up. i have room for a small 12v battery which i have 2 rated at 7ah and one at 12ah so plenty of juice there then, i may rig up an aerial mast, small of course to fit trike and all so i can get them off quickly etc.

mybike and Bobby Mhor like this.
  4. Bobby Mhor

Bobby Mhor Wasn't born to follow

try the Rybakov type vertical...
    rybakovcorlic (600 x 401).jpg
    Techy part…

I used a 8m telescopic fibreglass pole

a 9:1 UnUn

and 7.4m of 1.5mm plastic covered copper wire...

4 pegs and cord to steady the fibreglass pole..
    You can of course, bungee cord it to a fencepost anywhere..

I did cart a normal size ATU but you can pick up either a kit or buy a ready made QRP one, the advantage of using a FT817.
    Coax was just a length of RG58..

SWR

80m, I got a high SWR reading but it tuned in okay with the ATU.

60m, it was within acceptable limits ( it was a NOV at that time)

40m, as 60m

30m, as 60m

20m, I got a high SWR reading but once again, tuned in okay with the ATU.

17m, as 20m.

15m, low SWR.

12m, it was within acceptable limits.

10m, as 12m

I prefer VHF from hill tops, tbh.
    but this works....

Just for info..
    this was SWR in my postage stamp garden (15w used)

160m – SWR high

80m – as above

60m – still to checked on 5 watts

40m – 1.3 (15w)

30m – 2.5 (15w)

20m – 1.3 (15w)

17m – 2.5 (15w)

15m – SWR high

12m – 2.1 (15w)

10m – 1.1 (15w)

6m – 1.3 (15w)

5. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

i got a 10m telescopic which covers multibands for portable work but i think it is a bit big to fit on my trike hi hi, i am thinking of putting a 80m - 6m aerial on i use for mobile which has a fly lead to change bands and only just over 5ft tall but i will devise a small mast say about 4ft or so to fit on trike

classic33, Drago and Bobby Mhor like this.
  6. Bobby Mhor

I bought a 6m fibreglass pole out of Decathlon which breaks down into a 63cm pole but thats for VHF but I still have to carry it in a rucksack along with my 2m delta quad beam.
    Just a thought but I was surprised at how well it worked on HF.
    Sotabeams do some good portable HF stuff and bits to build same.

m6mal likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Now got 2M VHF in the Smart car. Mal, keep an ear out on the GBVA repeater, and 145.500 for me (2EORGJ).

m6mal and classic33 like this.
  8. mybike

mybike Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

Used to be able to hear VA, not for a long time though.

Drago likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Now then, now then, I'm thinking of getting a cheap DMR to experiment with. My only reservationnks difficult they may be to program, cos I ain't very good with pooters. Do any of you lot in the CycleChat Radio Amateurs Programming Society (CRAPS) habe any experience of this?+

10. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Paging Mr @Bobby Mhor.

Drago likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Thanks Lance O'Classic. I struggle with CycleChat, so you can imagine how I'd struggle connecting a pooter to a radio.

classic33 likes this.
  12. Bobby Mhor

@Drago
    Haven't dipped my toes in DMR more as VHF is dead in this area...
    too much going on fad wise, D-Star, Fusion, DMR and now Network Radio is the latest fad.
    I assume lots of activity VHF wise near your QTH?

If going the Chinese radio route, luv those radios,:okay:
    watch out as some earlier ones aren't what they seemed to be...

MIKLOR HERE
    is a site which has lots of top info

plenty of Chinese choice unless you can pick up an old Motorola and get it programmed..

Programming?

'Chirp' (on the Miklor site) is your go-to software for Chinese and other handhelds..
    If you buy any of the models mentioned on MIKLOR ,they'll more likely tell which programming cable to use, most Chinese use USB Kenwood compatible cables, reasonably priced on eBay...
    I find Amazon is just as good as anywhere for buying radios, I used to use 409shop in HK but Amazon has to be watched as it isn't clear if they send from the UK or Asia...at least you get he backing of Amazon, some chanty wrasslers about on eBay.....

Let's know how you get on...
    I'm off to shoot fish in a barrel (known as FT8:laugh:)

Drago and classic33 like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Aye, I use CHIRP for my Bumfengs on analogue. After days of painful fanning around with drivers I got it working, and it's then fairly simple to use.

I'm thinking of a proper Tier II set, such as an MD-380. There's some VHF and UHF activity around here. Not so heavy, but steady. I'll also write up a plug for the Lowland Rescue LRnet, so I can use it for that too.

I'm also thinking of trying a bit of AMSAT work too. That'd be good, could talk to you on V or U if we synchronised ourselves.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2018
    Bobby Mhor likes this.
  14. dodgy

dodgy Guru

This thread brought back some memories. I operated as a VP8 (Falkland Islands) back in 1991, I was one of very few (possibly the only) morse operators on the Islands and because of that I had to have a QSL manager in the UK to handle all my QSL exchanges (there was usually a dollar or two in each envelope which he kept). I was pretty popular, I don't mean I as in ME was popular, but getting CW contact into the Falklands was apparently a big deal. I used to call into the weekly QSO for people from the several Liverpools (not just England) around the world and I would have to break the rules slightly by only saying the last 3 letters of my callsign, because if I mentioned the full VP8 XXX, the frequency would just get hammered with people wanting contact. I can only imagine what it was like to be somewhere really remote.

Mad days. I haven't touched it again since, though as retirement is not too far away, I'm considering it again.

classic33 and Bobby Mhor like this.
  15. Bobby Mhor

I'm doing small steps on the Amsat stuff but more in the decoding of APRS (ISS) and 1k2 on Funcube1(AO-73), Nayif-1..
    I receive the signals and have some decodes but I'm only using the colinear in my loft space..
    I keep an eye on the FoxTelem stuff, once again, I rx the signal but not in any strength..
    I'm using a SDRPlay RSP1a (worth a look)....
    Once I finally move, I'll rig up something proper for an antenna for it....

Hello..
    It's still nuts out there,
    a VK9 or someone is clogging up the data bands just now..
    Everybody is doing FT8 data..

I didn't like the mode when it first appeared and continued to just use WSPR but I succomed and spent my time there now..
    1,200 contacts in just over two month and that could be doubled if I put my mind to it and I use a (inefficient) stealth dipole..
    Bottom of the sunspot cycle so if you return in the near future, hopefully it will be heading back up by then...

I'd gladly park myself on a remote island and gratefully accepted USD for postage, it is frowned upon but it does go on..
    I think one of the mid Atlantic islands, one station was asking for four USD for a card...but that was a few years ago..
    with LoTW and eQSL nowadays, paper cards are falling away....

GM7 here, by the way..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice