The Cyclechat Radio Shack

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Drago, 7 Feb 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Sweet. Not done the funcube, but had a play with SER on SDRsharp. I've never tried APRS. It does look appealing, but always passed me by. I quite like PSK31, use MultiPSK on 40 and 8)0M at QRP levels.

I've done some WxSat decoding in the past, but those old analogue birds are dying off now. Plan is to build a small array for AMSAT voice work and progress from there. I've a good view of the horizon from my shack...whichnis a real shack!

m6mal and Bobby Mhor like this.
  2. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

i have all 3 digital voice modes which i can take out on my trike etc. but then don't forget good old echolink as it is voip and could be useful to hams without access to a local repeater 73

Bobby Mhor likes this.
  3. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

i love psk31 as i live in a ground floor flat and only have a hf aerial 9ft otg and horizontal made of 60 odd feet of speaker wire and a 9 to 1 unun i still manage to work europe etc and beyond with 10w, i used to get VK and ZL when i first got licenced 10 years ago but i had a proper aerial then in a garden instead of on a wall in the parking lot

Bobby Mhor and Drago like this.
  4. Bobby Mhor

Bobby Mhor Wasn't born to follow

Go for your 2EO, 50 watts available...
    You should try FT8,
    I'm QRP and on most bands running only a couple of watts,
    my home antenna is a 40m half wave dipole, 18 ft either side in my loft and the rest running down behind the outside downpipes.. I just recently changed the wire (coating) from white to brown, the white blended nicely with the white PVC pipes.
    I've operated radio in one form or another from here for almost 40 years and some of my neighbours still don't know about HF, they know I use a 2m beam which I throw up occasionally to pick up distant SOTA stations...

m6mal and Drago like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

I'm a big fan of QRP. By the time you start using a gazillion watts and huge Yagi is it becomes about as technically challenging as picking up a mobile phone. Conversely, I've done Japan on 5w using PSK on 40M and I nearly farted with excitement.

I've recently relocated out doors. I've an active Watson vertical for HF Rx, but no transmitting antenna yet. Dual band J pole for 2/70 And 446 which works very pleasantly. Widebanded 2M FT1802 in the car (covers the analogue land SAR freqs) and various dual band hand held, and the odd converted PMR.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2018
    m6mal, Bobby Mhor and classic33 like this.
  6. Bobby Mhor

I've been looking at the active (either PA0RDT or the Russian bloke's one) for the SDRplay,
    it'll be for outside too as they can pick up some amount of 'smash'.. if used inside..
    Lots of ideas, just need to find another house to implement them that is why things are static here...
    as I've stated elsewhere, I love listening and have ADSB running 24/7/365 which is fun, AIS when I'm having a break from everything else.
    Between radio and the bike, retirement is sorted....

classic33 and Drago like this.
  7. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

I have an SDRPlay and i pick up all sorts including Digi voice and also freeview tv channels, i use it as a tv in the bedroom

8. Bobby Mhor

Superb little things, I'd been playing with the SDR dongles since they rewrote the code..
    mines is attached to a 2m/70cm colinear..
    Air, sea, satellite etc etc and lots out there to decode;)
    I never thought of using it for a TV..

I assume you use SDRUno?
    I've given up on SDR Console as I preferred the previous version(V2) and can't get on with the other one HDRSDR (or summit)...
    I made this for ADSB..
    adsb.jpg
    Amazing what a £4 antenna (from HK (eBay) and a coke can can do ,there is a Flightaware orange dongle under that can it fits into a USB single hub then into a Raspberry Pi inside the window and wifi'ed up to various websites, I use Virtual Radar Server on my 'puter to watch what's happening. I can of course run the SDRPlay using their ADSB software.
    The USB base is blue tacked and held technically with black insulating tape....

Drago likes this.
  9. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

Yeah i use SDRuno and DSD Plus for decoding the digital voice. I also use registered version of Multipsk for hf modes and i use Ham Radio Deluxe V6 registered when i am using my Icom IC7100 (widebanded) & LDG IT-100 tuner as i like working PSK31. OH for freeview on the SDRPlay i use SichboPVR it is free unrestricted and open source and i run all programs with Windows 10.... i used to use a slinky suspended from my curtain pole in my ground floor flat and i added a 9 to 1 balun using a torroid from an old pc psu it got me into europe and i used to use it for sdr lol i also have a moonraker magloop for my ft817 (widebanded). i have a tyt md380 and an anytone 868 for DMR and a yaesu FT70d for fusion and an icom id51e for d-star (my ic7100 also has d-star) and i have an 8w analog baofeng UV-8HX plus a few portable aerials. I must get a hatch mount for wifes new car as i keep meaning to, i can then go mobile with my FT817 as i have a lafayette sg7900 supergainer and a HF mobile aerial 80 - 6 metres with taps.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2018
  10. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

How did you find programming the MD380?

11. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

i used v1.30.0 md380 programming software

Drago likes this.
  12. Bobby Mhor

Not at home today . I threw up the Rybakov, portable vertical, see photo somewhere earlier in thread, yesterday and ran a few tests.Did SWR checks on all bands from 160m to 6m, tried it on the bypass on the ATU and tried the internal tuner in the 7300 but the main bands weren’t that out of whack. 9:1 unun and 7.4 m of copper wire. I ran some FT8 on some bands to see if tx’ing was okay . It would be ideal to run as a stealth antenna if and when I move. I have my eyes on the SteppIr vertical though, if they do senior citizen reductions .
    I’ve only stopped using HRD the old free version since it just won’t run on reliable on 64 bit windows as DM780 is brilliant but logging now is done on Log4om.

m6mal and Drago like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Was it straightforward though?

Done a bit of PMR scanning this morning. J pole thought a Philips PMR programmed to the 446 fee as is ideal for receiving Dx.

Been reading up some more on AMSAT. Definitely going to start gearing up for that.

Bobby Mhor likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Order a cheapo Baojie 218 dual Bandar for the car. Tiny and cheap, so a bit of fun.

Bobby Mhor and m6mal like this.
  15. Bobby Mhor

CQ CQ Santa is about
    (OH9S) is on most bands during the day
    santa.jpg

classic33 and m6mal like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice