The Cyclechat Radio Shack

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Drago, 7 Feb 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

I do a low of SWL'ing. My olde watson active antenna is getting a bit flaky. I might take it apart this weekend, see if I can ID the fault. If no joy then it might be time for a long wire.

Bobby Mhor and m6mal like this.
  2. Glow worm

Glow worm Guru

Over on medium wave, VOCM radio on 590khz from St Johns, Newfoundland Canada has been coming in nicely in the small hours recent nights here. Really good signal around 4-5am this morning. Also something N. American on 930khz but too weak to id. I'm guessing another Canadian from St Johns- CJYK (KIXX Country), though it's listed as only 3.5kw at night, so another shout could be New Brunswick's CFBC (50kw). WEGP, Presque Isle, Maine is another regular here on 1390khz and one I've yet to get, but said to be a common UK catch is WINS on 1010khz from New York City. Should be a v. easy catch when the Dutch close down Groet Niews Radio on 1008khz at the end of the year (the last remaining high power medium wave transmitter in the Netherlands).
    Listening on a small SONY portable, no ext. wires.

Edit - no idea why the weird font on that post!

Last edited: 6 Dec 2018
    Bobby Mhor, Drago and m6mal like this.
  3. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

I have loved radio since i was 14 year old, i used to like picking up different thing and in 81 i decided to go CB but i liked making aerials etc and making my york jcb863 portable in a satchel with 12v battery and a halfbreed aerial connected to a piece of wood on the rig bracket, i lovedchairing nets back in the day also. I then became a serious SWL'er having owned numerous radios including icom icr8500 and jrc nrd 525 and a nrd 545. I loved the frog 7 yaesu frg7 aswell and i started with a matsui transistor swl radio from currys at 100 quid was a bargain as it had full sw without gaps and had a bfo aswell and a digital readout, i then bought a lowe srx30 and well the fun continued with decoding wxfax etc along with rtty n morse and some sstv, aaround the same time i got into scanning aswell and have owned a lot of them aswell in the past, i still have an aor 8200 mk3 handheld and a icom icr20 handy plus the sdrplay and a realistic pro 2600 lol. It was shortwave and CB which attracted me to becoming a HAM just over 10 years ago. Happy Days 73

4. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

I use an old NASA/TARGET receiver with a Tecsun tuned loop antenna for MW work.

5. Glow worm

Glow worm Guru

Any sign of Caroline on 648khz over there? I've been blown away by how well they're getting out on just 1kw. The Orfordness tx location no doubt a great help with all the salt water around there. It's rock solid day and night here with only a hint of Slovenia (10kw) 'underneath' audible here at night. Caroline's return to medium wave last November has made me a very happy man indeed!

Bobby Mhor and Drago like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Yes, I can pull them in here. I can pull in quite a few continental pirates between 1650 and 1800kHz.

Bobby Mhor and Glow worm like this.
  7. Glow worm

Glow worm Guru

Ahh yes, they’re always quite entertaining- especially as the night goes on and they get increasingly ‘refreshed’.!
    The Dutch police have raided a few in recent months but they normally pop back up.

Bobby Mhor and Drago like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

My new Baojie dual Bandar has arrived. First impressions are good. Surprisingly well finished for the price, massive heat sink so weighs a bit. The fun starts trying to program it tomorrow, and then it goes into the Little Tikes car.

The widebamded FT-1802 will then come out of the car and into the shed shack for 2M rag chewing and I may also use it for AMSAT work.

9. Bobby Mhor

Bobby Mhor Wasn't born to follow

Anyone tried the cheapo Russian 'PA0RDT' copy active antenna?
    I know they can pick up some amount of electronic hash if inside....

I'm more interested for it to use on the low, low band stuff..
    I've just taken delivery of a Chinese special 1090mhz ADSB antenna to try ( a fiver wasted if no good), I thought I'd an SMA adaptor but not the one I needed, eBay to the rescue:ohmy:

Glow worm and Drago like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

I'm pleased to report the Baojie is as easy to program as any typical Bumfeng. Indeed, if you've got the Bumfeng friendly prolific driver installed already then it's plug and play on CHIRP. Got it running nicely in the car now.

m6mal likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Had a play with the Baojie. Good reports via VA in Aylesbury. The Chinese are doing to ham radio today what the japaenese did 45 years ago, but even cheaper still. Im all for it.

m6mal likes this.
  12. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

sounds good mate

13. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Question.

House nearby has a positionable "wire dish", all wire. Around 10 foot diameter.

Last seen pointing East.

Anyone any ideas on the use?

14. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

Some kind of amateur satellite work, or possible even amateur radior astronomy. There are even hams out there into receiving the data streams from pace probes and decrypting them. I aging reading g the live data stream from Curiosity.

15. m6mal

m6mal Well-Known Member

Just had a play with Zello ................... It is rubbish, i tried to join a few Licenced Ham channels and i needed a moderator and they are obviously at the pub so i am glad i did not buy a zello radio and had the sense to try on android phone first. The only channel i had an answer from was an anyone can use channel. Zello app will now be deleted.

Drago likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice