The CycleChat Small SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
My soft-roader doing what it does best... :whistle:
VW T-roc.

IMG_20230424_101823.jpg

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
We now have a Zaffy B.

Not sure if that counts as a mini SUV, but Mrs V thinks it is - after driving a Fiat Panda for 8 years

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Nice colour. Which engine do you have? Do you have Grip Control?

I was looking back at this thread and saw this post - poster hasn't been active for a while, so the answer is 1.2 petrol and no, only the Rip Curl Editions have the tranctiony-knobby thingy. Squeaky MOT history, nice to see.

Stalkingly yours etc :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We now have a Zaffy B.

Not sure if that counts as a mini SUV, but Mrs V thinks it is - after driving a Fiat Panda for 8 years

Is that the self combusting one ?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Is that the self combusting one ?
No, ours has electronic climate control. The ones that didn't are the ones that were catching fire.

However, as a 1.6, its absolutely useless at climbing steep (and I mean Welsh steep) hills.

It just judders up the hill like 1970 diesel cement mixer. A common problem with the 1.6 apparently.

I doubt if the previous owner ever noticed though, seeing as they lived in Swindon and only driven 48,000 miles in 13 years. I doubt if the car ever left Wiltshire.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My 1.6 manages hills just dandy - with 300NM and only 1100kg all is good.

But...

Being a small bore motor the gasses need to be flowing and off boost can be lifeless and sluggardly on hills. However, drive with some degree of mechanical sympathy and awareness of the engines characteristics and it's not a problem. Expecting it to pull up a hill in any gear at any random engine speed like a V10 Ram is unrealistic, yet people do and then complain about it on the PSA forums as if the laws of thermodynamics are somehow unique to Peugeot.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
My 1.6 manages hills just dandy - with 300NM and only 1100kg all is good.

But...

Being a small bore motor the gasses need to be flowing and off boost can be lifeless and sluggardly on hills. However, drive with some degree of mechanical sympathy and awareness of the engines characteristics and it's not a problem. Expecting it to pull up a hill in any gear at any random engine speed like a V10 Ram is unrealistic, yet people do and then complain about it on the PSA forums as if the laws of thermodynamics are somehow unique to Peugeot.
You could get the dag-dag tuned for cheap. Celtic has a good rep.

Confession, am thinking of inchopping the XC70 for summat smaller and more ecoish (albeit we use the Panda for most stuff now), and have been looking at Catcti. How does the traction dial perform in 2008s, any views to share?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I used the Grip Control in the snow at the tail end of winter. The car is still shod on OE spec GoodYear all weather boots and the system mightily impressed me with its grip and stability. Indeed, the car is very sure footed and planted all round in all types of poor weather, including yesterday's biblical levels of rainfall which caught me on the road.

While it's about as interesting as an episode of Countryfile I am finding the car highly satisfactory. Its very comfortable for a gent of my  lardy sexy dimensions, has been reliable (and I know from its incrediblly detailed history it was reliable for its previous owner), is actually pretty quick if thats your bag, handles ok, rides ok, steers very well, and even in mixed motoring never dips out of the 60s MPG with well into the 70s on a legal speed motorway run. It is simply an excellent small family car, albeit with the charisma of a politician.

At the end of April, daughter ordered a new Kia Sportage *, from the local dealer (Picadilly - Wakefield)
When she asked when she could expect it, she was told "November, possibly October"
I think she'll ask them to delay it, so she can have a '73' plate (for a while, before her plate goes onto it)
Just had a look at the paperwork, it's a T-Gdi mild-hybrid............. apparantly

At present, she has a Mercedes-Benz A-Class, when she got that, it was a 'sliced bread' car... ie; best thing since....
('AMG Line'..... I had to ask, a tarted up/body-kitted version, but without the silly rear aerofoil)

As An Aside
Is this little beauty, a small SUV/4x4 (compared to the larger models?)
Chain Bridge Honey Farm
(near Berwick-upon-Tweed)
October 2019

DSCF1053.JPG

* She also fancied a Volvo XC40, but decided on this

Last edited:
Top Bottom