The "Cycling to Work from Home" Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
First morning.

A bit longer, but less hilly than my usual.

Beautiful chilly but bright spring morning, still lots of planes still taking off from Manchester airport.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
What were the roads like, same as usual or eerily quiet?

Not my normal roads for commuting, so hard to say. I crossed one normally very busy main road - certainly not eerily quiet, maybe less busy than I expected, but I wouldn't normally be there at that time of day.

Sharky

Guru
I think back to the 70's and train strikes and 3 day weeks. When all my colleagues were struggling to get into work and some were being put up in hotels and being coached in. Being a cyclist, I just cycled the 20 miles in. No showers, no cycle lanes, but it was great fun and did not take much longer than my train journey had. It was this that started me commuting into London and I carried it on until I retired. Not always into London and not every day, but some hefty commutes.

I wonder if current train/tube/bus commuters, will think that cycling in will be a healthier option and prompt them to start and continue commuting by bike.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I did my usual commute this morning. I was expecting the roads to be quieter. But nope, just the normal mental monday morning moton traffic.
In south London it feels like a similar volume of traffic, but with more of a weekend driver vibe. I assume that people that usually use public transport are driving instead. Anecdote not data, but there are more drivers that seem unused to mixing with cyclists.

I had today booked off work anyway but haven't heard anything from work yet so assume I am meant to be at the office tomorrow. I do know that I will need to be on the bike otherwise I will go insane.

What is everyone's plan for cycling to work from home to home then? Do two rides of similar distance to normal or one ride about double the distance? Stick to your normal route or be more adventurous?

I am not sure if I will be able to find the motivation for doing two rides per day (the main motivation for riding to/from work despite the weather and terrible traffic

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What were the roads like, same as usual or eerily quiet?

A bit quieter, although someone had crashed a truck near the rail bridge/roundabout at Bredbury this am (on your route)

I don't commute by bike anymore, but as I was working from home on Friday, the weather was great, I went out for about an hour at lunch.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I had today booked off work anyway but haven't heard anything from work yet so assume I am meant to be at the office tomorrow. I do know that I will need to be on the bike otherwise I will go insane.

What is everyone's plan for cycling to work from home to home then? Do two rides of similar distance to normal or one ride about double the distance? Stick to your normal route or be more adventurous?

I am not sure if I will be able to find the motivation for doing two rides per day (the main motivation for riding to/from work despite the weather and terrible traffic
My ex-boss says that this is one of two things he learnt off me - that if you are working from home, still commute. It book-ends the working day, and gives you the exercise and wake-up that you need.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
although someone had crashed a truck near the rail bridge/roundabout at Bredbury this am (on your route)
LOL! A couple of months ago an artic truck driver had approached the 'low' bridge and decided he wouldn't fit so attempted a U-turn across the grass reservation of the roundabout approach. Sunk up to the axles and left the trailer blocking the road, obviously this happened in the peak of the morning rush hour and resulted in gridlock chaos for miles around as the queues formed. Luckily I was cycling home from my nightshift and just breezed through the resulting mayhem :okay:

Top Bottom