The Daily Mail, the World Cup and Bongoland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
trustysteed said:
to be fair, he has a point though. there are quite a few meaningless games in the group stage!

Those 'meaningless' games are the point of the World Cup though, aren't they? Without them, you might as well have a predictable invitational tournament.

And the 'lesser' teams do spring surprises - remember South Korea in 2002? For me, there would be no point in watching otherwise.

In any case, the letter writer's 'point' is just to express his stupid little-Englander racism. He probably longs for the time when England could chose its opponents and didn't have to be troubled by playing teams who were fitter, faster and more skillful then them.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's the usual Mail corresponsdents' "it doesn't interest me, therefore cannot be of interest to anyone else" cobblers. See also; the license fee, jonathan ross &c &c.

dellzeqq said:
it's the meaningless games that are the most enjoyable - not least when they turn out to be far from meaningless because teams turn out to be adventurous. Remember Nigeria 1994, the attacking play of Japan and South Korea in 2002, and Ivory Coast v. Holland in 2006. The Scots English still get pleasure from the victory against Holland Germany in 1978 1966.

This year I'm looking forward to Serbia v. Ghana, any game you like in Group E, Paraguay v. Slovakia, Ivory Coast v. Portugal (which will doubtless be enlivened by Christiano Ronaldo complaining every time his mascara runs), and Switzerland v. Chile.

:biggrin::angry:

Davidc

Guru
John the Monkey said:
It's the usual Mail corresponsdents' "it doesn't interest me, therefore cannot be of interest to anyone else" cobblers. See also; the license fee, jonathan ross &c &c.

You missed cyclists.

Mr Phelps clearly has a faulty on/off switch and doesn't understand how to change channel. It must be really annoying having the TV going 24/7, and not good for his electricity bill either.

gavintc

Guru
soulful dog said:
It's sad that there are still people out there who actually think things like that.

It is even sadder that this did not simply get binned at the DM rather than published. There will always be 5-10% of our society who are crackpots. Surely a sensible editor would simply ignore them. But, of course not, the Daily Mail readers are the 5-10% of society who are the crackpots.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I believe that a lot of the letters in the DM and similar rags are written by hacks to fill pages and pander to their readers.
Unfortunately it is also something my father would write in to them with, or rather e-mail as he often does to the Beeb.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I for one don't for a moment believe that's anything other than a WUM sending stuff to the DM to see if they'll be daft enough to print it. How else to explain 'forced to endure' and the like? (Switch off.) The sad thing is that the DM *is* that stupid, and that bigotted - and so are many of its millions of readers. But it's alright...they're dying by the day, and not being replaced.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
swea'pea99, I'm fairly sure the Mail is the only UK paper to be;

a) Turning a decent profit and
;) Increasing it's circulation.

I could be wrong, but am fairly sure both assertions are made in nick Davies' Flat Earth News.

Top Bottom