The Death of Irony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
If it needs ironing I don't need it.

I have had the motorcycle helmet thing many times at petrol stations. You are soaked, fill the bike go in money in hand wait in queue get to the front 'helmet off please ' seriously! You're hardly going to rob a garage that way. I always say do you want my money or not. Works 9 out of 10 times.

I was more meaning how silly it is, if they're getting everyone else to put a mask on. ^_^

purpan

Because it's a fair bit of faff, particularly in bad weather when you've carefully tucked your scarf in, then find there's a draft afterwards, and then forget to take your specs off and drop them on the floor or break them, then lose your ear plugs. And anyway, how many robbers politely hand over their credit card to pay? if you were a robber you'd simply not take your helmet off anyway

Ah, I hadn’t realised motorbikes were so much of a faff ;)

gbb

Legendary Member
I used to smoke (reluctantly, i always found it incredibly hard to stop)
Popped into a village shop on one of my rides, fully togged up in ss jersey and shorts. Lady chuckled and said...
I wouldnt have thought youd be a smoker ??
Im not averse to a little self abuse :laugh:...i replied

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Who’s wearing a mask ???

The woman you mentioned in the OP buying 40 fags. :okay:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Because it's a fair bit of faff, particularly in bad weather when you've carefully tucked your scarf in, then find there's a draft afterwards, and then forget to take your specs off and drop them on the floor or break them, then lose your ear plugs. And anyway, how many robbers politely hand over their credit card to pay? if you were a robber you'd simply not take your helmet off anyway
That's what is so ludicrous about the signs. As if a potential robber is going to obey a sign and take their helmets off.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Used to be that I would roll up at the pump with my open face helmet at some petrol stations and wouldn't be allowed to fill up if I didn't take it off -the staff wouldn't press the button at the desk to start the pump. My local one is OK with that but then going in to pay I would have to take it off anyway to hook my mask over my ears. Ironical? Yes. Does it bother me much? No.

After years of helmet wearing it's second nature to take it off when going indoors, and I have no issues with mask wearing though in the past I have raised the helmet thing with staff. Why are faceless customers with hoodies OK to buy petrol with no issues when you can see my face with the helmet on?

I have come to accept that many employees at the bottom of the food chain have a feeling of powerlessness to change things and when they say "It's policy" it feels as if they might exercise discretion if they could but fear consequences if they don't follow these rules handed down from above. I used to see anti-motorcyclist, anti-cyclist stuff round every corner and get quite militant but these days I think, why put people who can't change things on the spot? If I get really annoyed it's better to write to someone further up the chain.

As for banks, who has been in a bank recently? I live mid way between two towns and in both of them there used to be a branch of my bank. One of them has now closed and I fear the other one may close soon too. Internet banking has done for them. The irony here is that its own success has led to branch closure. It is reassuring to have a bricks and mortar branch to visit as sometimes, just sometimes it is useful to talk to a real person when you have an issue that doesn't fit the tick-box system that is online banking. If it's a case of use it or lose it looks as if the success of the online version for most routine things will finish off the other branch.

Both of these branches were in pedestrianised areas so the helmet thing never arose. The thing with online banking is that if I choose I could wear my helmet (and nothing else) and no one would be bothered.

Top Bottom