The decade that style forgot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 3564838, member: 259"]According to several measures, the mid-seventies was the time when people in the United Kingdom were the happiest they had ever been (and never have been since) - even with the three-day weeks and industrial unrest seemingly everywhere.[/QUOTE]

I have no recollection of my dad being on short time or power cuts or the national strikes. I must have lived in an idyllic haze of crimpeline trousers, florid shirts and knitted tank tops.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRc0wyVrbGrr1x-CkvpnSwuWJIe1kz9coUjBZHoj12oiXECKag.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6yOpXBfKc1b46OCp9-Djn-EWmAyBZ9it-HX5cApL8UWIs9tfP.jpg

G.I. Joe is somewhat less than up to regs with that beard, but we'll allow for the idea that he may have been on remote duty with the Adventure Team (what a wussy name for a unit) at that point, and shaved on return to base.

That's an Action Man to us over here!:okay: My second one(Christmas 1970)had alopesia.His bristled hair fell out,and he arrived with two right hands!

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 3566111, member: 259"]They certainly didn't have hipster lego in the seventies. It was all bright primaries apart from the odd roof tile.

I shudder to think how long would this sucker have lasted against two teenagers armed with a can of lighter fluid, a box of matches and a pellet gun.. :rolleyes:

da397152-b475-4375-bfd9-8b76f83c0731-1020x680.jpe
[/QUOTE]

I once 'killed' a lego man in our fire. I put him in and then when he was burning, I prodded him with the poker so he stuck to it as a small melting fireball on the end.

I felt bad and vowed never to murder a toy ever again.:blush::laugh:

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Afnug mentioned films...Star Wars in 77 best picture night out in my life..see it a Rawtentstall when visiting the northern clans as we did twice a year back then.. I also liked Grease but I was about 11 and had a thing about Olivia...

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I once 'killed' a lego man in our fire. I put him in and then when he was burning, I prodded him with the poker so he stuck to it as a small melting fireball on the end.

I felt bad and vowed never to murder a toy ever again.

We did the same with a retiring Action Man, my compatriot was quite disturbed by it afterwards.

The amount of stuff we set fire to, using the lawn mower petrol stash, I'm amazed we didn't burn our houses down although we did melt a plastic dustbin once. And there was that patch of grass in the middle of my mates dad's lawn that never grew again, he could never figure it out.

Halcyon days.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
For those of us who were vertically and fashion challenged the platform shoes of the 70s were a godsend. I could totter around on my 5" heels and see what the world looked like from the dizzying height of 5'10". I kept those boots for 30 years, hoping they would come back into fashion.

subaqua

What’s the point
when I go back to N wales for Easter I will try and scan some pics of the dodgy clothes styles that I was forced to wear as a kid in the 70s.

I remember my dad being on strike - Vauxhals at ellesmere port, and then again in the late 70s when he was a lorry driver.

Top Bottom