The decade that style forgot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
We did the same with a retiring Action Man, my compatriot was quite disturbed by it afterwards.

I wasn't disturbed, I just realised that it was pointless as I needed people for the lego and would soon have none left, therefore spiteing myself.
Also, and more importantly, it would have annoyed my big brother who would have killed me!! :giggle:

The amount of stuff we set fire to, using the lawn mower petrol stash, I'm amazed we didn't burn our houses down although we did melt a plastic dustbin once. And there was that patch of grass in the middle of my mates dad's lawn that never grew again, he could never figure it out.

Halcyon days.

We had a coal fire, so I gained a healthy respect for fire as well as good experience with what one can get away with - We burned a lot of things just to see what would happen. It was sort of our own personal bunsen burner/furnace, albeit, not as hot!

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Heck, I wasn't even born until the '80s!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Brummies and those low pokets!! I guess were all payng for that now with haunched soulders and dodgy backs..

subaqua

What’s the point
I wasn't disturbed, I just realised that it was pointless as I needed people for the lego and would soon have none left, therefore spiteing myself.
Also, and more importantly, it would have annoyed my big brother who would have killed me!! :giggle:

We had a coal fire, so I gained a healthy respect for fire as well as good experience with what one can get away with - We burned a lot of things just to see what would happen. It was sort of our own personal bunsen burner/furnace, albeit, not as hot!

we had an open coal fire. and it had a good draw on it. when it was windy it was like a furnace . I learnt about aerosols flamethrower properties in that coal fire .

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
[QUOTE 3564838, member: 259"]According to several measures, the mid-seventies was the time when people in the United Kingdom were the happiest they had ever been (and never have been since) - even with the three-day weeks and industrial unrest seemingly everywhere.[/QUOTE]
I grew up in the 70's. Aaah...fond memories. Tom Baker in the Tardis, The Goodies, Star Wars, playing frisbee, falling off skateboards, the long, long hot summer of '76, Starsky & Hutch, less cars on the road, seeing Jaws at the cinema with my parents and not swimming in the sea for a year....^_^. I vaguely remember having flared Jeans and those Clarks shoes that had a sole shaped like the surface of the moon (they tied in with the Apollo missions). And I so wanted to be a Tomorrow Person (the original IMHO is much better than that boring US remake)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We did the same with a retiring Action Man, my compatriot was quite disturbed by it afterwards.

The amount of stuff we set fire to, using the lawn mower petrol stash, I'm amazed we didn't burn our houses down although we did melt a plastic dustbin once. And there was that patch of grass in the middle of my mates dad's lawn that never grew again, he could never figure it out.

Halcyon days.
I tried to hit my Action Man over the house with a tennis racket, in 1976. It's possible he's still up there.

I remember trying to fry eggs on the shed roof, cutting stretch Armstrong open to see what he looked like inside, meeting Rupert the bear and eating chewing gum off the floor. My flares were massive and as high up my legs as you can get before they become shorts!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I tried to hit my Action Man over the house with a tennis racket, in 1976. It's possible he's still up there.

Once threw a big lump of plasticine over the roof of the house, it hit the neighbours upstairs four pane window right in the middle where the wooden bits cross over. What are the chances of that happening!

Top Bottom