The end of the universe.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hypothesis, not theory.

Ah but what about string theory?

I rather like the term "conjecture" which the mathematicians use. That said they do use hypothesis as well, and I think the terms are equivalent. But the axiom of choice is a tricky one. Is it a valid axiom or basically false?

Bread is eaten in the south?
Organic foccaccia obviously.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Who the feck theorises or hypothesises that the universe will end, reset and reincarnate everyone that was there the first time? ...sounds more like fiction or fantasy to me.

Tin Pot

Guru
Ah but what about string theory?

I rather like the term "conjecture" which the mathematicians use. That said they do use hypothesis as well, and I think the terms are equivalent. But the axiom of choice is a tricky one. Is it a valid axiom or basically false?

I think cyclic universe ideas predate string theory, and are indeed conjecture.

I'm not sure you would ever be able to evidence that "video tape on loop" that @gavroche suggests. Why would the universe play out in exactly the same fashion every time?

Tin Pot

Guru
Who the feck theorises or hypothesises that the universe will end, reset and reincarnate everyone that was there the first time? ...sounds more like fiction or fantasy to me.

Futurama does :smile:

Forward_Time_Machine.png

classic33

Leg End Member
I think cyclic universe ideas predate string theory, and are indeed conjecture.

I'm not sure you would ever be able to evidence that "video tape on loop" that @gavroche suggests. Why would the universe play out in exactly the same fashion every time?
There's also the possibility that we're nothing but a computer simulation. A minority of which like playing computer simulations.

Tin Pot

Guru
There's also the possibility that we're nothing but a computer simulation. A minority of which like playing computer simulations.
Or are we just dreaming?

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I never quite understood the point of reincarnation... other than a bedtime story for people who are afraid of death, what's the point of it?

You could be Maria in España, as a change from Monty in Lancaster. Could be interesting (not knocking Lancaster though, I was there at university and I love it, a great place).

I can't name them all but there's a whole branch of quantum mechanicists* out there who work on just such theories.

Quantum mechanics is far, far stranger than fiction.

*I'm not even sure that's a word, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Top Bottom