The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itchybeard

Playing for country is bit of a noose...
It is a bore international matches unless it's not watching England...a player does not have to play for his country you know, but try saying no....England B team should be equivalent to the rest of its league, perhaps share the workload...FIFA considering longer international breaks, more game's to fit in, somewhat agree.

J1888

Über Member
Cmon Scotland - Slovenia still well in this game...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Phil McNulty on the Beeb's live reporting feed:
"England fans are now singing 'It's Just Like Watching Brazil.' Very good. For those not watching, let me assure you it isn't.

Well, not unless you can recall a Brazil side as lacking inspiration and creation as this England team."
That good, eh?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
England have used thirty players in the ten qualifying rounds. How the hell can you develop a team doing that? At most you need to have a squad of eighteen from which to pick your starting eleven, and only alter that if someone exceptional forces their way in.

Alf Ramsey used to say there were only about thirty players capable of performing at international level, and that was at a time when almost all division players were English, give or take a few Scots, Welsh and Irish. With less than a quarter of Premier players who line up every Saturday for their clubs eligible for England that number must be far fewer now.

AndyRM

XOXO
Kante injured - I loathe this international nonsense.

As a keen football fan (albeit with somewhat limited focus) they really are a bore. Of all the fans of various affiliations that I know, not one is interested in the international scene.

Imo it tends to be of interest to people who generally deride footy but suddenly become experts in the game during the Euro's and more especially the WC.

Moan, moan, moan...

Your derision point made me laugh.

I know someone who was giving it big licks about England winning Euro 2016, despite no previous interest in the game, and slagging me for Scotland not being there.

After a while I got bored and asked them to name their starting English XI.

"Gareth Bale" was the first name on the teamsheet..

itchybeard

England have used thirty players in the ten qualifying rounds. How the hell can you develop a team doing that? At most you need to have a squad of eighteen from which to pick your starting eleven, and only alter that if someone exceptional forces their way in.

Alf Ramsey used to say there were only about thirty players capable of performing at international level, and that was at a time when almost all division players were English, give or take a few Scots, Welsh and Irish. With less than a quarter of Premier players who line up every Saturday for their clubs eligible for England that number must be far fewer now.

It doesn't really matter o don't feel
I'm not getting g onto agro over team selection. So was this the main issue of h
Not winning the world cup since 66...its not. When it comes to the big tournament that is when England are crap or crappier. I would want to see bore but tactical, unified team as a team! Sick of hearing how England were crap and boring, doesn't matter on the end. Let's at least get to a semi in a tournament....

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It doesn't really matter o don't feel
I'm not getting g onto agro over team selection. So was this the main issue of h
Not winning the world cup since 66...its not. When it comes to the big tournament that is when England are crap or crappier. I would want to see bore but tactical, unified team as a team! Sick of hearing how England were crap and boring, doesn't matter on the end. Let's at least get to a semi in a tournament....
Translator, please :headshake:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Did anyone do non league day yesterday? I took my daughter to Hitchin v Stratford town and we saw a 4 nil win, she really enjoyed herself.

20171007_162334.jpg

Later I watched the England game almost by accident and wished I hadn't. Two games in one day and I know which one I preferred.
I now utterly loathe the international breaks, they're a football desert, just something to endure until the decent stuff starts again.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I don't like the qualifiers plus made worse by not really knowing what channel its on. I do still enjoy Tournament football though. The only year I can remember my Wife really getting in to it in major way was when she got caught up in the 1990 FA Cup fever with Palace Liverpool game and then the Final and then really enjoyed England games in the 1990 WC great summer that was.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I can't imagine what the Russians would have thought of a group of men in pink shirts and skirts.

Top Bottom