The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It surprises me Sir Alex Ferguson never took the Scotland job on
He did after the death of Jock Stein, to whom he was second in command. I believe he was manager during the 1986 World Cup but left for the Man U job afterwards. Managing Scotland comes a long way behind being in charge of a top league club, and the same goes for England too. Both are jobs for middling men outside the top bracket or people nearing the end of their careers.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
He did after the death of Jock Stein, to whom he was second in command. I believe he was manager during the 1986 World Cup but left for the Man U job afterwards. Managing Scotland comes a long way behind being in charge of a top league club, and the same goes for England too. Both are jobs for middling men outside the top bracket or people nearing the end of their careers.

Fergie was the Scotland manager during the 1986 world cup, as you say. Apparently he didn't include Alan (Captain Scarlet) Hansen in the squad.

I remember because sometime afterwards, before Manyoo starting winning things, one of my LFC supporting mates was saying what a lousy manager Fergie was, and in support of this assertion he quoted some journo who said that Utd would never get anywhere with him because any manager who could call on the services of Alan Hansen but failed to do so had to be a loser. When Utd started winning everything, it used to give me great amusement watching him, and most other followers of the Libpewl Football Cult seething at Fergie's success......and they call us bitter blues, oh the irony :becool:

AndyRM

XOXO
You could've followed it up with...Newcastle pull wool over taxman's eyes. :smile:

Get him cloned! Assuming he's actually good and not doing the typical Newcastle thing of being class for a bit then looking like he's never seen let alone kicked a ball.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm in a Predictor League with one other member - obviously I am very short on friends. :smile:

This week I've predicted a win for Klopp's Mob over Jose's Mob - a bit counter-intuitive based on current form but I can see The History Club raising their game for this one. Should be good to watch whatever happens.

2-1 btw.

AndyRM

XOXO
Right enough, there's so many other good managers queuing up to be Scotland manager right now.

FFS, Moyes is one of the front-runners, that's how bad it is.

You said you think he'd do OK, I'm just asking why you think that... If it's the Cardiff thing, fair enough (though that was what, 5 years ago?). Nothing else suggests he's any good, and he has a habit of falling out with everyone

Moyes is a better manager than Mackay, by miles.

Top Bottom