The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Barnet gave me a bit of hope on Good Friday when they beat Crewe 2-1, but then they went and lost Monday 4-1 at Stevenage. The National league(conference) looms ever nearer.

AndyRM

XOXO
Ye gods - what a stunning goal by Ronaldo - even the Juventus fans gave him a standing ovation. Brilliant!

This comment on the Beeb made me laugh:

Ronaldo haters here would still be totally unimpressed if he actually was on a bike when the cross came over and did a handstand on the saddle before scoring.

It's true as well, particularly in England I think. Impossible to say he's the best ever, but of this "generation" I'd say he is.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Doesn’t surprise me with Mansfield “fans” we’ve had trouble there with Shrewsbury in the past.
We played them at home on Boxing Day,about 11 years ago. The game was rained off at half time. Their "fans" caused trouble then. Not only them but our fans had to be kept in after the Luton away game,for their own safety. I'd say most of our fans are kids,pensioners,middle aged men and women and a few excitable types who make all the noise with the drum and take their banners to all away games. We're an easy target for these idiots/cowards.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
This comment on the Beeb made me laugh:

Ronaldo haters here would still be totally unimpressed if he actually was on a bike when the cross came over and did a handstand on the saddle before scoring.

It's true as well, particularly in England I think. Impossible to say he's the best ever, but of this "generation" I'd say he is.
Superb player? Definitely. Arrogant and very hard to like as a person- at least from public image? Yup.

This is what I don't quite get, because to me he doesn't do anything different than any other internationally renowned players, but he seems to get slated for it.

Look at Harry Kane, for example: modest, unassuming and seemingly very popular with players, fans and media alike.

AndyRM

XOXO
Look at Harry Kane, for example: modest, unassuming and seemingly very popular with players, fans and media alike.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure Kane is a great example. Of course he's still young but he's won what, a league cup runners up medal? If he is still the same unassuming guy when he's won everything bar a world cup then that is to his credit.

I think that quite often confidence is mistaken for arrogance in the sporting world. Particularly if you're Nicklas Bendtner...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ronaldo is the same age as Wayne Rooney and still one of the best players on the planet, first choice for club and country. Rooney is a fading star who had to move to a moderate team to save his career and his international days are over, so whatever you think about Ronaldo's perceived character he is obviously a dedicated professional who has looked after himself and strives to hone his skills.

Unless Kane is still banging them in at 33 he can't be classed in the same league.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Great player that he is, arguably the best in the world at the moment, and great spectacular goal that that was, the hyperbole sometimes gets a bit too much for me. I was watching BBC Breakfast this morning and one of the presenters asked if it was the greatest goal of all time. I have seen many other goals, often scored by players with a fraction of his ability, that were equally as breathtaking. That ridiculous question would never have been asked if it wasn't for his profile.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Great player that he is, arguably the best in the world at the moment, and great spectacular goal that that was, the hyperbole sometimes gets a bit too much for me. I was watching BBC Breakfast this morning and one of the presenters asked if it was the greatest goal of all time. I have seen many other goals, often scored by players with a fraction of his ability, that were equally as breathtaking. That ridiculous question would never have been asked if it wasn't for his profile.

That does sound like a dumb statement but maybe that's the nature of the presenters on a breakfast show.

For me it probably ranks high in the all time best goals stakes - the occasion, the pressure, away from home plus it was no hit and hope overhead kick which many are - he tracked that ball as it came to him and as it headed goal-wards.

I think the fact that three quality ex-Pro's (Ferdinand, Linekar & Lampard) were raving over the goal says a lot to me. Us amateurs can have a view of course but I'm sure theirs is much more insightful.

Plus, it's a rare occasion (apart from horrific injuries) when opposition fans stand and applaud.

Top Bottom