The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On Saturday they could still have got out of it. Southampton winning last night put them 5 points from safety with 3 more available.

15 West Ham 36 -22 38
16 Southampton 37 -18 36
17 Huddersfield 36 -29 36
18 Swansea 37 -27 33
19 West Brom 37 -23 31
20 Stoke 37 -34 30
That's suggesting that if Southampton hadn't have won last night West Brom could still avoid the drop. Yet Surely West Brom would have to catch Huddersfield to escape the drop,and they couldn't after Saturday. My maths teacher all those years ago said i could take it in but i was too lazy to do so. No,i'm not being lazy i replied,it just will not sink in!:scratch:

Hold on,i think it's coming to me! Forget Huddersfield. So if Southampton hadn't have won last night West Brom could still have overtaken them and ended up in 17th spot. It's coming to me in drabs,but i think i'm getting there.

At last! :headshake:

UvBHt9.gif

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Swansea’s Relegation is settled before the last game unless Swansea can overturn a massive goal difference. Which is almost impossible to consider.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Conspiracy theory:

Swansea need to over turn a 9 goal deficit to Southampton. Managed by Mark Hughes.

Swansea’s last game is against already relegated Stoke, could they let in 10 goals just to see Mark Hughes go down?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Shouldn't the point of playing football be to enjoy it? Or when you get to the top level enjoyment goes out of the window in pursuit of glory hunting? There are only so many trophies that can be won, and in truth only a few teams that can win them. What are the rest of the teams doing, knowing that they will probably never win anything. Maybe I'm getting too old and still looking at sport as a thing to be enjoyed:blush:

Slick

Guru
It's all about the cash now. You don't have to win the CL to be a cash winner and even the players just want to show what they can do at the highest level which m3ans more cash for them. Just the way of the world I'm afraid.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So we've come to the conclusion that Spurs are a money making club rather than a trophy winning and money making club. I wonder how their fans see it? "We haven't won a trophy in umpteen years,so when we or others look at our list of honours in the match programme or elsewhere we see that the cupboard is bare,but never mind,our players and Chairman etc have millions in their bank accounts, yuppy doo"!:rolleyes: I had my pic' taken with the League 2 trophy last week. Ok,it's not on Tottenham's bucket list to win such a thing,but Accy beat rivals at our level and won the trophy(Luton still can't get over it ha! ha!) Accy Stanley won a big silver and gold cup,which to me is what football is about! Tottenham fans could have their pics taken next to their players and Chairman's 200 grand cars i suppose.:whistle:

Last edited:
So we've come to the conclusion that Spurs are a money making club rather than a trophy winning and money making club. I wonder how their fans see it? "We haven't won a trophy in umpteen years,so when we or others look at our list of honours in the match programme or elsewhere we see that the cupboard is bare,but never mind,our players and Chairman etc have millions in their bank accounts, yuppy doo"!:rolleyes: I had my pic' taken with the League 2 trophy last week. Ok,it's not on Tottenham's bucket list to win such a thing,but Accy beat rivals at our level and won the trophy(Luton still can't get over it ha! ha!) Accy Stanley won a big silver and gold cup,which to me is what football is about! Tottenham fans could have their pics taken next to their players and Chairman's 200 grand cars i suppose.:whistle:

I've been a Spurs fan for over 50 years and have followed them through thin and thinner.

However, they have always been a team that plays positive and entertaining football. Trophies and titles have been thin on the ground but fans and non fans alike enjoy watching them.

Yes, money has totally changed the way sport in general is played today but I'm happy for THFC to play in the Champions League and attract good players to the club to entertain the fans.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If sport was only about winning trophies it wouldn't be worth doing, because the vast majority of participants will never win anything.

And BTW, taking the League 2 title is not generally regarded as having reached the pinnacle of football. Most fans round the country haven't got a clue who won it, or indeed who even took part.

pjd57

Veteran
temporary_file1591604412.jpg
A wet miserable meaningless 0-0 at Celtic Park last night.
Neither team had anything to play for , and it showed.

I can't even say the cycle there and back was the best bit.
Soaked getting there, sat soggy for two hours then a chilly return .
I was almost home before I warmed up .

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If sport was only about winning trophies it wouldn't be worth doing, because the vast majority of participants will never win anything.

And BTW, taking the League 2 title is not generally regarded as having reached the pinnacle of football. Most fans round the country haven't got a clue who won it, or indeed who even took part.
That's why i said "at our level". Accy beat teams at our level to come first. Not 4th like Tottenham did,or much lower like others always seem to do.:whistle:

Top Bottom