The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
and the weekends football results just get better
I do hope that's not a dig at that ignorant egotistical loudmouth in charge at Man U?

Give the man some respect :laugh:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Barney Ronay hits the nail on the head again...
"This was beyond dire – dire squared, dire football played in dire fashion by a dire selection. Imagine a bad plan, enacted badly, by someone not very good at enacting bad plans. Imagine a negative approach, applied with extreme negativity by a group of players feeling negative about the actual merits of all this negativity. Why would anyone want to keep doing this? Is Mourinho enjoying it? Even United’s starting XI was a deathly thing with seven of the 10 starting outfield players either defenders or defensive midfielders"
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/16/football-dire-jose-mourinho-enjoying-it

It is remarkable how the relative situations of United and Liverpool seem to have been so completely reversed. For years, a stream of not-very-good-but-expensive players (along with more than a few gems, admittedly) joined and left the Anfield ranks, along with others who never quite made the grade (at least for LFC) or never fit the playing style. Carroll, Downing, Benteke, Dicks…At the same time, the Man U machine and Sir Alex kept churning out winning team after winning team. Ferguson was certainly the (very strong) paper over the cracks for a good few years, there had certainly been structural decline at Old Trafford for a while, but the wheels seem to have come off almost completely now. FSG certainly hit more than a few bumps in their first few years of owning Liverpool, but they've learnt from their mistakes, and the on-field results are no fluke. Also making business sense... Net spend on transfers (i.e. after player sales) since 2016 is estimated at £125 million. Man City, £358m (unsurprisingly, but you can see where it's gone, in a good way). Man U...£300m (and you can't see the value for money). They seem to be regressing, not even standing still, when all the other 'big teams' are moving forward.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
CL draw for those interested

Schalke v Man City
Atletico Madrid v Juventus
Man Utd v PSG
Tottenham v Borussia Dortmund
Lyon v Barcelona
Roma v Porto
Ajax v Real Madrid
Liverpool v Bayern Munich

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
and the Europa League draw

Viktoria Plzen v Dinamo Zagreb
Club Brugge v Red Bull Salzburg
Rapid Vienna v Internazionale
Slavia Prague v Genk
Graznodar v Bayer Leverkusen
Zurich v Napoli
Malmo v Chelsea
Shakhtar Donetsk v Eintracht Frankfurt
Celtic v Valencia
Stade Rennais v Real Betis
Olympiakos v Dynamo Kyiv
Lazio v Sevilla
Fenerbahce v Zenit
Sporting v Villarreal
BATE Borisov v Arsenal
Galatasaray v Benfica

Dave7

Legendary Member
Barney Ronay hits the nail on the head again...
"This was beyond dire – dire squared, dire football played in dire fashion by a dire selection. Imagine a bad plan, enacted badly, by someone not very good at enacting bad plans. Imagine a negative approach, applied with extreme negativity by a group of players feeling negative about the actual merits of all this negativity. Why would anyone want to keep doing this? Is Mourinho enjoying it? Even United’s starting XI was a deathly thing with seven of the 10 starting outfield players either defenders or defensive midfielders"
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/16/football-dire-jose-mourinho-enjoying-it

It is remarkable how the relative situations of United and Liverpool seem to have been so completely reversed. For years, a stream of not-very-good-but-expensive players (along with more than a few gems, admittedly) joined and left the Anfield ranks, along with others who never quite made the grade (at least for LFC) or never fit the playing style. Carroll, Downing, Benteke, Dicks…At the same time, the Man U machine and Sir Alex kept churning out winning team after winning team. Ferguson was certainly the (very strong) paper over the cracks for a good few years, there had certainly been structural decline at Old Trafford for a while, but the wheels seem to have come off almost completely now. FSG certainly hit more than a few bumps in their first few years of owning Liverpool, but they've learnt from their mistakes, and the on-field results are no fluke. Also making business sense... Net spend on transfers (i.e. after player sales) since 2016 is estimated at £125 million. Man City, £358m (unsurprisingly, but you can see where it's gone, in a good way). Man U...£300m (and you can't see the value for money). They seem to be regressing, not even standing still, when all the other 'big teams' are moving forward.
A lifelong Utd supporter said to me "first time he can recall that not one ManU player would get in the Liverpool team".
Yes....Utd have got some good players but none I would swap for any of our present team.

AndyRM

XOXO
Anybody watch the Netflix Documentary "Sunderland Til I Die"? Very good but Sunderland fans don't come out of it well.

I've watched a couple of episodes, which I've enjoyed. Well put together and although I know how it ends I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Could do with a narrator though, to give a bit of context for stuff.

ETA: A couple of Sunderland supporting fans aren't happy with how they've been portrayed. Fair enough, but reasonable and measured football fans do not make good television.

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
CL draw for those interested

Schalke v Man City
Atletico Madrid v Juventus
Man Utd v PSG
Tottenham v Borussia Dortmund
Lyon v Barcelona
Roma v Porto
Ajax v Real Madrid
Liverpool v Bayern Munich

Good draw for City,

MarkF

Guru
CL draw looks "same old crap", Europa draw has some crackers, Celtic v Valencia looks a belter and Betis will probably take more fans away than any CL club. Bit like the Championship has more interesting games than the PL.

Top Bottom