The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Many football fans would have that same feeling about Leeds Utd.

I always support my local team, wherever I'm living. So when I lived in South London, for example, I used to go and watch Palace. When I lived in Bordeaux, I used to watch Les Girondins regularly.

The one exception to this is Leeds - or Dirty Leeds, to give them their full name. I lived in Leeds for several years as a student and loved the city itself but couldn't ever bring myself to go to Elland Road. And to make matters worse, I was living there in 1992...

PaulB

Legendary Member
R.I.P Peter Thompson. Despite being regarded as England's best player at the time, he was discarded for Ramsey's 'wingless wonders' so missed out on a deserved World Cup winners medal.

Thommo.jpeg

subaqua

What’s the point
Barnet won again, 0-1 against Dagenham and Redbridge. I am going to the game tomorrow against our local rivals, Boreham Wood. Maybe we can beat them this time, 0-1 on Boxing day
Funnily enough I am taking the boy to Leyton v Dagenham tomorrow . Probably going on our bikes too.

Dave7

Legendary Member
R.I.P Peter Thompson. Despite being regarded as England's best player at the time, he was discarded for Ramsey's 'wingless wonders' so missed out on a deserved World Cup winners medal.

View attachment 444840
It was so good to watch him. I would be either in the paddock or the Kop.....both gave good views of his amazing speed and ball control.
Similar memories of Steve Heighway

PaulB

Legendary Member
Peters scored and Ball was one of the best players on the pitch. Alf got his selection right.
Well isn't 20-20 vision always perfect? Greaves and Thompson would have rendered extra-time unnecessary and the Germans wouldn't still be belly-aching about the ball being over the line.

MarkF

Guru
Many football fans would have that same feeling about Leeds Utd. I've been to both Anfield and Elland Road to watch Blackburn Rovers play. I've
/we've encountered trouble at both places. Granted,both cases were in the 80's and 90's respectively,but i bet they're still hostile nasty places for away fans to visit. They won't be the only such places,but for me i have bad memories of both. Those images of Liverpool 'fans' attacking the Man City bus last season kind of summed up what a shoot hole Liverpool is and diminished those 'lovable Scouser' images we're expected to believe in.

Good, sounds like an atmosphere in the making.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Well isn't 20-20 vision always perfect? Greaves and Thompson would have rendered extra-time unnecessary and the Germans wouldn't still be belly-aching about the ball being over the line.
I think you might be right. Extra time might not have been necessary because I think England would have lost without Alan Ball in midfield. Neither Greaves nor Thompson could have played in in his position, so that would leave only Nobby Stiles as the only defensive midfielder as Bobby Charlton was an attacker.

Dave7

Legendary Member
What has happened to Everton???
They looked a half decent team early season but seem to be really struggling. Lost 0.1 at home to Leicester today.

Top Bottom