The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
It's a different league but the same principle applies up here.
Football on TV has little appeal to me.
If I am not at a game it takes something special for me to sit and watch it on telly.

But I know a lot of people claim to be fans of various clubs and never set foot in a ground.

Slick

Guru
If I am not at a game it takes something special for me to sit and watch it on telly.

But I know a lot of people claim to be fans of various clubs and never set foot in a ground.
Exactly, but it still brings in the cash especially for the top clubs. I've said it lots of times and football should be played at 3 o'clock on a Saturday.

PaulB

Legendary Member

We are of the same mind here.

I'm not THAT in to football but I have a life-long love of Liverpool FC and the only thing that stirs my soul about the game is when I'm standing* on the Kop (other stadiums exist - I was at one last Saturday night for example) watching the team (absolutely fabulous now) play and willing them on.

The so-called 'fans' (we have two who work with us, one in Cambridge and one in Bristol) of certain teams they have no links with whatsoever but still claim to 'support'! That boils my piss that does.

* Yes, we do.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I see the England men won the penalty shoot out for third place in the Couldn't Care Less Cup.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

I'm not THAT in to football but I have a life-long love of Liverpool FC and the only thing that stirs my soul about the game is when I'm standing* on the Kop (other stadiums exist - I was at one last Saturday night for example) watching the team (absolutely fabulous now) play and willing them on.

The so-called 'fans' (we have two who work with us, one in Cambridge and one in Bristol) of certain teams they have no links with whatsoever but still claim to 'support'! That boils my piss that does.

* Yes, we do.
Hmmm....
Why shouldn't people support a club from afar, if they so wish? Might be their only option. I'm two miles from Fratton Park, I'm a lifelong fan, but I've been to two games, ever. Still my club, still (in the nicest possible terms) wish the lot down the road to be reduced to their correct place in the local pecking order. According to some, that isn't enough. I'm still also fond of a few other clubs in various parts of the world, because they have a decent ethos, a proper code of ethics regarding business and their communities, and (heaven forbid) try and play decent football. Wouldn't claim to be a fan of them, but I'll follow their results and be glad when they do well. And someone can have been born and live their entire lives thousands of miles away from a club and still feel a genuine passion for them.

Stephenite

Membå

* Yes, we do.

Utter Toshacks!

You only support Liverpool United because they are rich and successful. Otherwise your love of football would be lavished upon your local park/pub/sunday school team.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Utter Toshacks!

You only support Liverpool United because they are rich and successful. Otherwise your love of football would be lavished upon your local park/pub/sunday school team.

Firstly, there's no such team. Secondly, it's not 'support', it's a love embedded in my very DNA and came with my mother's milk. D, I've been going for 55 years and still get that same thrill every time I enter the sacred portals of the cathedral of passion - I don't think they were 'rich and successful' 55 years ago, that started with hope. And J, you didn't read my comments before spouting forth.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Thought the English women yesterday were faster and fitter than the Scots - some of the play from the back and overlapping on the wings was excellent but the rehearsed goal routines were cringey. The playacting, timewasting and harassing the ref by the English in the second half was really noticeable because it wasn't there in the first half - a part of the men's game they can do without. Surprised they have a male coach too.

AndyRM

XOXO
Thought the English women yesterday were faster and fitter than the Scots - some of the play from the back and overlapping on the wings was excellent but the rehearsed goal routines were cringey. The playacting, timewasting and harassing the ref by the English in the second half was really noticeable because it wasn't there in the first half - a part of the men's game they can do without. Surprised they have a male coach too.

As far as I know, the only female coach of England has been Hope Powell.

ETA - I was wrong, a quick Google turns up Mo Marley who was in charge for a year, albeit on an interim basis.

Top Bottom