The Football.....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Spartak, 29 Jan 2012.

1. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

The Pirlo and Zlatan ones are a good laugh too. I read one about Collina too which I remember being excellent.

PaulB likes this.
  2. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

I've been to one or two Liverpool games when I was younger and I have to say, I didn't actually enjoy it so never went again and now it's so expensive that even if I wanted too I wouldn't go. I've always been a lpool supporter though, used to live near Melwood and would go up and watch them train when it was half term and holidays back in the 70's but I'm well aware that lots of fans follow them home and away and love going, it's a passion and commitment I don't have, I still want them to win though.

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I'd love to read the Crouch book and I might have a look for Keegan's as well. He comes across as intelligent and honest in his opinions.

Have you read any of the "Secret footballer" books? They give an insight to the game that you don't find anywhere else.

4. If you support big clubs like Liverpool you have an excuse not to go,like not being able to get tickets and if you can the cost of them,but if you support small clubs like Accrington you're expected to go and watch them. People think it's only a few quid to watch them 'so what's the excuse not to go' they'll say. I toyed with the idea of buying an 'early bird' season ticket that'd work out at £9.50 a match compared to £20 on the door,though with my old looking face I get away with paying £15 concession rates (65 and over). I decided not to buy one. I'll pick my matches next season as opposed to feeling that I have to go to every game to make the season ticket worthwhile. Besides,come the winter I just can't hack standing there in 5 and below Celsius for over 2 hours anymore.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2019
    Slick likes this.
  5. Slick

Slick Veteran

Quite right Accy, pick and choose is the way to go. :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist likes this.
  6. PaulB

PaulB Guru

You should read both. Entertaining, funny and educational.

And I read the first Secret Footballer and you're quite right about an insight into the game you don't find anywhere else. I particularly liked the bit where members of one team bumped in to members of a Spanish team in a restaurant in the US - where players would go as they could be fairly sure not to be recognised there. Someone announced a game where one team paid the bills of everyone present and the other team had to do something more generous - they bought everyone present the most expensive Champagne and on it went, each team raising the stakes for the other one to trump! I'd love to have been in that restaurant and the beneficiary of such largess on that night.

7. postman

postman Legendary Member

Tonight Matthew i watched USA v Thailand.Going to say the play of the American team was top quality,i had a soft spot for Thailand and felt sorry for them.Technique from America top notch.

8. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Über Member

I didn't watch that match but generally speaking I don't care much for games which are so very one sided (unless its my team that are winning!). I think a team should ease up a bit once they get 6-0 up, because a) the game is won and they don't need to push for more, and b) they could end up looking like bullies who just want to humiliate a much weaker team.

9. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

What are they meant to do though? Just tap it around? If I was in the stands I'd be pretty hacked off if I ended up watching a training match. Also, I'd be more annoyed as a player if my opponent was just going through the motions.

Paulus, downesy, R_nger and 2 others like this.
  10. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Über Member

Fair point but they do have many more matches to play, as they are favourites to go all the way to the final. Conserving energy might not be a bad thing. Being 6-0 down I don't think Thailand would worry about not getting thrashed.

11. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

True. But the US barely needed to get out of second gear and for all they are an excellent side, Thailand are nowhere near ready to be competing at that level. I'm all for expanding the game, but simply adding more spaces into international tournaments is not the way to do it.

Paulus, MarkF and theclaud like this.
  12. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Über Member

I agree. Even though it gives lesser teams a chance to play in a big tournament, its not always a good thing for their morale. Imagine how they must feel now, because they must know the USA didn't even need to try and they still won by such an enormous margin. They must feel like giving the game up.

There should maybe be a second tournament for the 'no hope' teams. They would do better in that and the main WC would also benefit from being more competitive, with (on paper) more skills and better games being shown.

Paulus and AndyRM like this.
  13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I enjoyed it. The USA were playing like a team who were a goal down right up until the final whistle, they just did not let up.

Paulus likes this.
  14. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

15. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Über Member

It would be so funny if the USA got tanked 5-0 in their next match. It won't happen though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice