The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
They're making a joke of the game.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Anyone still in favour of VAR?

I was fairly cold on the idea to begin with and now I'd scrap it tomorrow. It is a misguided attempt to sanitise the game and it has turned into a complete farce, stopping play for extended periods and often producing a result just as debateable as before we had it.

Goal line technology maybe, but that should be the lot.

yello

Just caught the 2nd half of England v Japan, England clog footed oafs v a female Japanese Man City, a bizarre scoreline!

Japan, first team l've enjoyed watching, using the lower physical game and lower pace to exploit space beautifully.

England were better in the 1st half, Japan got their game together 2nd half. Some very wayward/sloppy passing from England didn't help, but equally they sometimes managed some slick one touch stuff. And they took their chances.

Canada have been my favourite team so far. A solid team with tricky wingers (in Beckie and Prince), the defensive midfielder Scott is industrious and wins everything and their defense looks accomplished. They place some creative and quick football, I've enjoyed watching them.

yello

The Norway v Australia game last night was a cracker. Open, end-to-end stuff with no shortage of skill nor determination.

Should England get past Cameroon then it'll be yet another tough match ahead... as it should be at this stage of an international competition.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
England have been playing well, but they seem to have the same failing as the men's team in that they go to sleep for a period of 10-20 minutes in every game. You can get away with that in the group stages against weaker opposition, but once you come up against quality sides you're toast.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Comical end to the first half. Cameroon refusing to kick off.

Appalling refereeing, should have started booking players, plus the ref missed two red card, a clear elbow and a defender spitting on an opponent.

yello

A very odd match. I've not watched Cameroon before but they strike me as a bit mardy in this game. They've been niggly aggressive from the off. Praps they're trying to put England off and it's not working.

Having watched other teams in this tournament, I do wonder how England will go against teams that player at a higher tempo.

Let's see if Cameroon lift themselves for the 2nd half.

yello

Cracking goal! That'll lift 'em!

Ah, VAR again... oh dear... that'll piss them off more... this is going to be interesting.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I feel a bit sorry for Cameroon.
I thought VAR is meant for clear errors not fractions of inches in an off side call.
There should be an element of leeway like umpires call in cricket for LBW

Well, what a game - and not because it was breathtaking!

England were solid, if not particularly impressive. Cameroon were shameful. As mentioned above, there were nasty niggling tackles, elbows, spitting and almost a mutiny by the Cameroonians.

Hopefully England will play better against Norway.

Phil Neville got it right just now in an interview.

Top Bottom