The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

It was a most odd game. I think Cameroon wanted to go home. They showed, in brief patches, that they could play so I can only but guess that they didn't really want to. I was willing them to score, and they had a number of chances, just to see if it would result in them caring a bit more.

England will have to play much better than that to beat Norway though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Anyone still in favour of VAR?

I was fairly cold on the idea to begin with and now I'd scrap it tomorrow. It is a misguided attempt to sanitise the game and it has turned into a complete farce, stopping play for extended periods and often producing a result just as debateable as before we had it.

Goal line technology maybe, but that should be the lot.
Couldn't agree more. Absolutely kills the momentum of games, and as you say, leaves decisions debatable. I preferred the old system where you had a ref & two linesmen and you trusted them to do their best and be unbiased, and accepted that sometimes they got given, Brian, and sometimes they didn't - for you and for them - and that that's all part of the game.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I feel a bit sorry for Cameroon.
I thought VAR is meant for clear errors not fractions of inches in an off side call.
There should be an element of leeway like umpires call in cricket for LBW
It was introduced precisely to decide such things as fractional offside decisions. Unfortunately it has balled the game up in the process.

yello

I think VAR is certainly showing its disadvantages. 7 minutes of extra time Cameroon v England that was at 8 when VAR intervened again. It's simply disruptive even if it is correct.

I don't know if a different approach is being trialed at the WWC but I've not been a fan of it so far. It's taking too long. I'm not sure who calls for it (is the ref instructed or do they ask for it?) but I don't recall there being a single intervention in the Norway v Australia game last night. That game was exciting because it was allowed to flow (and there was a handball shout that I expected a VAR to pop up for!)

AndyRM

XOXO
Benitez's contract has not been renewed at Newcastle, which shouldn't really be a surprise. Garry Monk is the bookies favourite to succeed, which would be a huge gamble if it happens.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I like VAR and can't wait for next season when it is live in the EPL.

The 'evens out' theory is rollocks imo and tbh apart from the WWC whenever I have seen VAR in use the decisions have been correct and the use of it has hardly slowed the game down any more than it usually is for various incidents/arguments etc.

I do like the 'rugby' style suggestion though.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I like VAR and can't wait for next season when it is live in the EPL.

The 'evens out' theory is rollocks imo and tbh apart from the WWC whenever I have seen VAR in use the decisions have been correct and the use of it has hardly slowed the game down any more than it usually is for various incidents/arguments etc.

I do like the 'rugby' style suggestion though.
It does slow the game down and interrupts the flow. It also leaves fans mystified, especially when they take place at grounds with no big screens like the one I frequent.

SpokeyDokey

It does slow the game down and interrupts the flow. It also leaves fans mystified, especially when they take place at grounds with no big screens like the one I frequent.

I didn't say it didn't - but the instances I have seen the stoppage time is no big deal. In any case - far better that than eg The Ghost Goal! :smile:

And which is why I liked the rugby idea - all grounds with a big screen.

Also - there has been a massive shift away from the ground spectators being the be all and end all vs the televised audience - at least for the bigger clubs. So whilst it is not currently perfect the issues caused by the current system at the grounds is relatively small beer compared to the global audience who are kept in the loop to a greater extent.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I didn't say it didn't - but the instances I have seen the stoppage time is no big deal. In any case - far better that than eg The Ghost Goal! :smile:

And which is why I liked the rugby idea - all grounds with a big screen.

Also - there has been a massive shift away from the ground spectators being the be all and end all vs the televised audience - at least for the bigger clubs. So whilst it is not currently perfect the issues caused by the current system at the grounds is relatively small beer compared to the global audience who are kept in the loop to a greater extent.
No, have to completely disagree with you on that one. The first time we suffered from it, there was no end of the ref running back and forth between the dugout and the penalty area with no decision forthcoming for ages.

And without the ground spectators the TV moguls would rather do without, they wouldn't have a product they could market, would they? To me, the only supporters are the ones who pay their money and stand/sit in the stadiums (I don't care) and give their vocal support. There are no others worth a second thought. And the fans where I go hate it and even if the decision goes in our favour, we'd still rather have an instant decision or you may as well play with no officials on the pitch; we regard it as sinister and all wanky.

SpokeyDokey

No, have to completely disagree with you on that one. The first time we suffered from it, there was no end of the ref running back and forth between the dugout and the penalty area with no decision forthcoming for ages.

And without the ground spectators the TV moguls would rather do without, they wouldn't have a product they could market, would they? To me, the only supporters are the ones who pay their money and stand/sit in the stadiums (I don't care) and give their vocal support. There are no others worth a second thought. And the fans where I go hate it and even if the decision goes in our favour, we'd still rather have an instant decision or you may as well play with no officials on the pitch; we regard it as sinister and all wanky.

That's a rather narrow view of the world imo.

Without the global audiences top flight football would probably be back to where it was in the 80's - although some might say that they were better days. :smile:Not that I would agree with that.

I've been supporting Chelsea for 53 years and lovely wife has for 42 years - we live far from Stamford Bridge these days but haven't missed a televised game for many a year. We also go to any game from around Birmingham upwards if we can get tickets - not easy! Does that really mean we aren't fans when we don't attend a match?

PaulB

Legendary Member
That's a rather narrow view of the world imo.

Without the global audiences top flight football would probably be back to where it was in the 80's - although some might say that they were better days. :smile:Not that I would agree with that.

I've been supporting Chelsea for 53 years and lovely wife has for 42 years - we live far from Stamford Bridge these days but haven't missed a televised game for many a year. We also go to any game from around Birmingham upwards if we can get tickets - not easy! Does that really mean we aren't fans when we don't attend a match?
You have my deepest sympathies.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Like SpokeyDokey I now live a considerable distance from my lifelong football club, and if it wasn't for the occasional TV game I'd never see them play, It is also important to remember that without the TV money courtesy of the armchair fans the game would still be stuck in the eighties, played in crumbling stadiums with all the dangers that led to the tragedies of that decade and teams staffed with agricultural cloggers who haven't benefitted from the influences of the foreign invasion.

The TV money has led to problems of it's own, but overall it has considerably improved what was considered by many to be a dying game three decades ago.

This VAR thing is getting ridiculous!

Nigeria concede a penalty as a defender tries to clear the ball, miskicks the ball (but just about makes contact) and kicks a German player in her follow-through. Deemed a penalty!

If it gets this bad and ridiculous in the PL next season, I'll be turning off. FFS!

Top Bottom