The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I suppose it will depend upon exactly what country and what league you are in but I would imagine only the less well off teams bring more money at the gate than they do from TV and advertising which is mostly only there for the cameras.

AndyRM

XOXO
That's a rather narrow view of the world imo.

Without the global audiences top flight football would probably be back to where it was in the 80's - although some might say that they were better days. :smile:Not that I would agree with that.

I've been supporting Chelsea for 53 years and lovely wife has for 42 years - we live far from Stamford Bridge these days but haven't missed a televised game for many a year. We also go to any game from around Birmingham upwards if we can get tickets - not easy! Does that really mean we aren't fans when we don't attend a match?

Exactly this. Without TV (let's be honest, Sky) money the big clubs would not be able to operate the way they do. I'm all for going to matches and the experience that provides, but you're kidding yourself if you reckon your matchday spend contributes in any significant way.

Scottish football is derided for the quality of play (sometimes fairly, often not) but if Sky flicked the switch off it wouldn't implode unlike the "big" leagues.

yello

Canada outclassed last night by a more talented, experienced and physical Sweden. Canada started ok, and had the majority of the possession but couldn't find a way through Sweden's organised defence. Canada were shape-shifting in an attempt to be creative but to no avail, and the usually inspirational Beckie (who plays for Man City) wasn't on form and became wayward - her poor pass leading to Sweden's goal. Their heads dropped and they became frantic. Individuals still performed (Buchanan, Scott, Lawrence) and the enthusiasm was there but the team slowly unravelled. They are a young side (Sinclair aside) so they will hopefully learn from it and be more for it in the future.

I liked Canada, I wanted them to go further, but one can't deny the class of Sweden and there's no disgrace in losing to them.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I watched 10 mins Spain game..
I just cant get into this..same as womens tennis and golf.
Good luck to them
I really enjoy watching it. I am amazed how far it has come on. The speed and skill levels are amazing. In the same match you do see some glaring, basic errors but overall its very entertaining. Oh.....and you also get a few foot stamping, crying, tantrums thrown in for good meaure.
I also enjoy womens golf.

yello

I also enjoy womens golf.

I don't. I don't enjoy men's golf either! Otherwise, with you 100%.

I get to see a fair bit of women's football on TV here in France. It's a competitive league dominated by a few teams but the enjoyment factor is high. Standard is variable as those few teams also have the better players; you're seeing this also in the WWC. There's a very noticeable difference in abilities, one that'll even out as the years go by. The age range of players is also broad.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru

MarkF

Guru
I watch & enjoy women's tennis but am struggling with the football. A top female tennis pro might beat a journeyman male pro. But, at this rate of improvement the female WC winners would struggle in the Bradford Sunday Alliance!

I don't think the rapid increase in publicity matches the product....yet. It is far slower and less physical, obviously & understandably, but l had hoped for a better "different" game using the much larger available space, but what l am seeing is a lot of hoofing & too many basic errors, whereas l'd have hoped they'd have nailed the technical aspect by now.

Top Bottom