The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Chelsea take lots of risks with managerial appointments - seems to work well for us.

Frank is a risk but what if it works out?

Not aimed at you but the media give us a lot of stick for not playing 'the youth' (whilst ignoring other big clubs that do exactly the same) and then give us stick for trying a fairly inexperienced manager. Can't win! Apart from (since RA bought the club in 2003)...

View attachment 473987

Obviously the LFC CL Cup should be filled in (graphic slightly pre-dates the CL final).

Ok.:smile:

AndyRM

XOXO
English sports media cries out for young English managers to be given a chance.

A young English manager is given a chance.

English sports media goes into meltdown telling everyone how risky this is.

You couldn't make it up.

I do wonder if the transfer ban has played a part in his recruitment. Not many top proven managers are going to want to join a team they can't mould.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm not a Chelsea fan, but I do hope he does well. His relative inexperience in managing a team may be tempered by the fact he has worked under several big name managers and may of learnt what he thinks will work and what won't. He may have the stature of a "name" in the game and Chelsea, which may help him keep control of the dressing room, which seems to a factor at some clubs, Chelsea included. I wish him luck.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I do wonder if the transfer ban has played a part in his recruitment. Not many top proven managers are going to want to join a team they can't mould.

Can't agree with you there.

Realistically we would be in the market for a maximum of 3 players in this current transfer window - not enough to make a massive difference apart from gaining an effective top drawer striker, although there are precious few of these on the market at the moment. So not much moulding available on that front. The transfer ban (discounting the winter period as that's a waste of time at the best of times) is a relatively minor blip in the long-term road.

We still have a deep and strong squad with a huge opportunity to mould the playing style (again!) although realistically that's going to take c 2-3 years to achieve - so plenty of opportunity there.

By all accounts there were a number of top flight managers that were open to consideration for the role - ultimately a salary of up to £12m pa (& maybe more for a top top manager) to manage a Top 4 EPL team playing in the CL next season is pretty tempting package. Only 3 managers in Europe currently earn more than that.

I'm thinking that Roman is trying a different route on this occasion and I hope it works as, despite a quite successful last season, the football, which was great for the first 18 EPL games, then stagnated into an utterly miserable, possession based game that had no teeth that was dire to watch. :sad:

Realistically we would be in the market for a maximum of 3 players in this current transfer window - not enough to make a massive difference apart from gaining an effective top drawer striker, although there are precious few of these on the market at the moment. So not much moulding available on that front. The transfer ban (discounting the winter period as that's a waste of time at the best of times) is a relatively minor blip in the long-term road.

We still have a deep and strong squad with a huge opportunity to mould the playing style (again!) although realistically that's going to take c 2-3 years to achieve - so plenty of opportunity there.

By all accounts there were a number of top flight managers that were open to consideration for the role - ultimately a salary of up to £12m pa (& maybe more for a top top manager) to manage a Top 4 EPL team playing in the CL next season is pretty tempting package. Only 3 managers in Europe currently earn more than that.

I'm thinking that Roman is trying a different route on this occasion and I hope it works as, despite a quite successful last season, the football, which was great for the first 18 EPL games, then stagnated into an utterly miserable, possession based game that had no teeth that was dire to watch. :sad:
Abramovich is not sentimental though, witness De Matteo and umpteen others. I'm not quite sure what's driven this appt, it's a little bit like Solskajer, everyone's happy about it, like when Dalglish was appointed at Lpool again, it's exciting but will it deliver?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I can't seem to watch the World Cup without singing.

"Eskimo, Megan Rapinoe, move their bodies, to & fro"

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

We've disagreed on whether or not Chelsea are run in a truly businesslike manner before, but…this is an inspired appointment. Roman can't lose, however it works out and however long his itchy trigger finger waits before activating the trap door. Unless the transfer ban gets reversed, the new manager will be stuck with the squad he's got for the next year or so. There's an instant feelgood factor from appointing club legend. If he gets results in the first season or so, great, Frank's a genius. If not, well it's Alan Hansen's line about winning with kids, or alternatively Frank is going to be another (insert name of player who failed managing here). If Roman gives him time, less money wasted on sacking him & finding a replacement. If he doesn't, there will be no shortage of willing volunteers to get in that office with the dodgy floor. When the ban ends, there will be big name signings, whoever is in place, and they might actually give some of the extended squad some playing time, perhaps even find some new first-team players that, er, they've already found. The longest serving player (not) at Stamford Bridge, Kenneth Omeruo, has spent seven years on the club books, six years on loan.

Perhaps Roman really has decided to change tack and leave the manager alone for a bit. After all, he seems to have kept the rest of the club management team & structure in place for years, and that has worked quite nicely…also, there isn't a big six in the PL right now…more like the big two and the four trying to keep up with them. If that's to change any time soon, either or both of City and Liverpool's form has to dip significantly, or the rest have to really up their game on and off the pitch. I can't see Frank being granted the time for a rebuilding job in the same way Klopp was. And Guardiola (who was of course unsuccessfully wooed by Chelsea during his sabbatical) didn't win anything in his first season at City. That, also, seems to have worked out nicely…Just maybe Roman's taken a hint. Only time will tell....

Top Bottom