The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Will the Sun or the Daily Star have the back page headlines 'Dead and Bury(ied)' this morning? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49451896
Yeah, they probably will. My only real surprise is it hasn't happened sooner but I still think Bury will find away back in some form by next season.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Talking about this down the pub last,.the question of what'll happen to Gigg Lane came up.
I know that when the same thing happened to Accy in 1962 the ground was just left to decay for years until it was demolished on safety grounds, The land is still a football/playing field as it belongs to a next door school. Will the owner of what was Fury FC sell the land for development? It's not much good for anything else is it? I don't think a reformed 'AFC Bury' or whatever could afford to run and maintain such a large ground,at lower non league level.
Another question was asked. Which league club will now take over the title of having the shortest name in the league? Without looking it up we got quite a few 7 lettered names, but none with just 6.,so it's almost certain there are non with just 5 letters in their full name.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
But in what league would that be?

Probably right at the bottom,at this level.....
https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/13/

My home town team www.greatharwoodtown.co.uk/index.html was kicked out of that league some 12/13 years ago for not having the basic requirement of changing rooms and floodlights,following an arson attack at the ground.
All that league asks is that you have changing facilities and floodlights. If a reformed Bury can find a ground with both they could reform.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Talking about this down the pub last,.the question of what'll happen to Gigg Lane came up.
I know that when the same thing happened to Accy in 1962 the ground was just left to decay for years until it was demolished on safety grounds, The land is still a football/playing field as it belongs to a next door school. Will the owner of what was Fury FC sell the land for development? It's not much good for anything else is it?
Another question was asked. Which league club will now take over the title of having the shortest name in the league? Without looking it up we got quite a few 7 lettered names, but none with just 6.,so it's almost certain there are non with just 5 letters in their full name.
Does "Pool" not count ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Does "Pool" not count ?
Or ‘Scum’ for the Manchester team in red :whistle:

MarkF

Guru
A couple of points.

Nobody's legs fell off and Bury FC is not finished, with their support base they'll have an easier time getting going again than Halifax and Aldershot. both of whom were quickly back at the level at which they went pop. I see Darlington have quickly risen too. A Phoenix Bury wont start "at the bottom", you can't have 500/1000 away fans turning up at another club used to crowds of 50. Common sense will prevail and they'd start at a decent level.

Bury have had at least two squads over the recent seasons that no lower league football fan viewed as anything but shoot or bust. Bad ownership + fans turning a blind eye = this.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A couple of points.

Nobody's legs fell off and Bury FC is not finished, with their support base they'll have an easier time getting going again than Halifax and Aldershot. both of whom were quickly back at the level at which they went pop. I see Darlington have quickly risen too. A Phoenix Bury wont start "at the bottom", you can't have 500/1000 away fans turning up at another club used to crowds of 50. Common sense will prevail and they'd start at a decent level.

Bury have had at least two squads over the recent seasons that no lower league football fan viewed as anything but shoot or bust. Bad ownership + fans turning a blind eye = this.
Bury's demise does not matter a jot outside of Bury, despite all the hand wringing and crocodile tears. A club from the National League will vacate the hole they left in the EFL and that scenario will repeat all the way down to the lowest of the feeder leagues. So we lose one financial basket case from the EFL and make quite a few other clubs very happy at their promotion.

A harsh judgement, but that's the way it works folks.

Top Bottom