The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
West Ham let Adrian go after sticking him on the bench when many would have had him as their first choice keeper. So when Fabrianski gets injured we get stuck with some clown they got from a Brazilian circus in goal 😠😠😠
First game he played for Liverpool I said I really rate this guy. As you suggest.....how could they let him go AND for free.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
West Ham let Adrian go after sticking him on the bench when many would have had him as their first choice keeper. So when Fabrianski gets injured we get stuck with some clown they got from a Brazilian circus in goal 😠😠😠
Does, with the benefit of hindsight, seem spectacularly misjudged to let him go. Alisson got injured in match one, and later suspended after that sending off, but Liverpool barely missed a beat. Adrian is a definite upgrade on Mignolet and Karius. And they've got Lonergan and Kelleher in reserve! Fabianski is at least back for WH now…

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Does, with the benefit of hindsight, seem spectacularly misjudged to let him go. Alisson got injured in match one, and later suspended after that sending off, but Liverpool barely missed a beat. Adrian is a definite upgrade on Mignolet and Karius. And they've got Lonergan and Kelleher in reserve! Fabianski is at least back for WH now…
And a good win for West Ham at Gillingham tonight. Two weeks ago they'd have lost that one, Moyes has put a bit of steal into the side in a game that was only ever going to be an ugly one.

Of all the regular top division teams I'd put serious money on West Ham having the worst record against lower league opposition and I doubt I'd lose. Even going back to the sixties when everyone put their strongest teams out in cup ties and took them seriously they were regularly getting dumped out by sides a division or two below them.

StuAff

You can only think those lads have given Klopp a headache and will be knocking on his door now. He's got an embarrassment of riches and all would run through brick walls for him to get the chance to play for what is surely the greatest team on this earth.
That's not a headache for him, it's a headache for every other PL manager. When you consider they've got Hoever, Van den Berg (I know he got slated for the Villa loss, but the jury should still be out, he's only 17...), the likes of Harry Wilson, Ryan Kent and Ben Woodburn on loan…squad doesn't seem quite so sparse at the moment.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The current Liverpool side is the best domestic team from any country I've seen in nearly sixty years as a football fan. And that includes Barcelona who had an easy ride in most of their league games during the season and were boring to watch because they tried to walk the ball into the net, rarely took long shots and never put crosses in. As well as outplaying the opposition from defence to midfield Liverpool pepper the penalty area from all over the place. They play long, they play short and when they attack they are prepared to trust the forwards to win 50/50 balls whereas Barcelona used to go backwards if there was any risk at all.

Last edited:

StuAff

The current Liverpool side is the best domestic team from any country I've seen in nearly sixty years as a football fan. And that includes Barcelona who had an easy ride in most of their league games during the season and were boring to watch because they tried to walk the ball into the net, rarely took long shots and never put crosses in. As well as outplaying the opposition from defence to midfield Liverpool pepper the penalty area from all over the place. They play long, they play short and when they attack they are prepared to trust the forwards to win 50/50 balls whereas Barcelona used to go backwards if there was any risk at all.
Comparisons are difficult- in domestic form, Liverpool are definitely better than last season, both in terms of team performance and squad depth, whereas City have regressed, slightly but significantly, United are middling, Spurs suffering, Arsenal floundering and Chelsea showing signs of improvement but getting done over regularly. Leicester are giving it a good go but they're not going to get near top spot. Shame we can't put this Liverpool team against City from 2017-18, or perhaps the Utd treble team, to name two British alternatives… But you might well be right. The front three are a match for any forward line I can think of, and they've got some pretty good backups in Minamino, Origi and Brewster. Midfield: De Bruyne might improve them, or Stevie G in his prime, but no weak links there. Fabinho became a key player, yet hasn't been missed. Defence: TAA, Van Dijk and Robertson would step into any other first team immediately, and improve them. Gomez not far behind, Matip and Lovren still solid if not on the same level, at least not without Virgil next to them. Those on the fringe seem happy to take their chances to impress when they get them rather than fume on the bench. And the kids are clearly, judging by tonight, alright.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
That's not a headache for him, it's a headache for every other PL manager. When you consider they've got Hoever, Van den Berg (I know he got slated for the Villa loss, but the jury should still be out, he's only 17...), the likes of Harry Wilson, Ryan Kent and Ben Woodburn on loan…squad doesn't seem quite so sparse at the moment.
Ryan Kent was sold to the world famous Glasgow Rangers for a bargain basement fee it turns out. :becool:

AndyRM

XOXO
Other Liverpool loanees include Millar at Killie. You can have him back no bother, he's been awful this time around. Though given how the club has pretty much pressed the self destruct button over a disappointing 6 months or so, it's maybe not entirely his fault.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

They will be as good a domestic team as last season's City when, and only when, they win all three domestic trophies.

We'll see.

pjd57

Veteran
Best in 60 years...

They're good but that's going too far.
Barcelona have slipped but for a few seasons they were far superior.
Man. City while not being great this season were in my opinion better 2 years ago.
I'm not sure if many Liverpool fans would agree this was their best team in 60 years.
Going back to my youth...
Leeds United 70/71 were a great side who looked unbeatable in domestic football.
Came a cropper when they came up against an even better Scottish team though.

Top Bottom