The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
from 1955 to 1960........come on, some of us weren't even alive then

This is true, I was born in 1985. Yet in those brief 34 years I have managed, apparently, to accumulate considerably more football trivia knowledge than you.

Not that it matters really, Liverpool are easily the best side in England, which nobody could argue against, but the European throne is vacant which is equally true.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
This is true, I was born in 1985. Yet in those brief 34 years I have managed, apparently, to accumulate considerably more football trivia knowledge than you.

Not that it matters really, Liverpool are easily the best side in England, which nobody could argue against, but the European throne is vacant which is equally true.
its not vacant.......Liverpool are still the current European champions, its not illogical Liverpool fan speak.....its FACT

and just because you googled who spent the longest as European champions, doesn't mean your a footy trivia guru.....

AndyRM

XOXO
its not vacant.......Liverpool are still the current European champions, its not illogical Liverpool fan speak.....its FACT

and just because you googled who spent the longest as European champions, doesn't mean your a footy trivia guru.....

Ah, FACT, in capitals. Nice.

Anyway, good luck winning the league at the weekend (would have been Monday by the way, depending on other results).

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ah, FACT, in capitals. Nice.

Anyway, good luck winning the league at the weekend (would have been Monday by the way, depending on other results).
as the league has been suspended until 4th april, that won't happen now anyway........good luck with whatever team you support, i doubt its anyone that's winning anything.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Karren Brady is calling for the football season to be declared 'null and void'.

Ms Brady, it should be noted, is on the board of relegation threatened West Ham United.

What do the Hammers on here think of her remarks?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think they should finish it if at all possible, despite the fact it may put West Ham down. The legal implication will loom large if Leeds United, among others are denied a chance of promotion to a higher tier.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What ever they do the legal implications are bad. Karen Bradley is showing her colours. They have to complete the season even if it’s over the summer.
The relegation issue will affect the entire pyramid as every league impacts on the one below.
Also who qualifies for Europe if the season is void?

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Its an awkward situation, which seems to have no easy option. I don't agree with calling the season null & void. It wouldn't be fair if Liverpool didn't win because they are clearly the best team in the Premiership this season - and it also wouldn't be fair for the teams in the relegation places if they were denied a chance to get out of them, or the teams looking for promotion from lower leagues. There are still quite a few games left and I can't see there being enough time to play all the matches though.

So what to do? If the games can't be played, how about taking the average for each team over their last 6 home matches and the average for their last away matches and then apply those figures to each team's remaining matches and awarding points accordingly? I suggest their recent results because that's an indication of current form, rather than to use their season long results. Some teams start well and then fade, whereas others get better as the season goes on. In early season many teams are bedding in brand new players.

Just an idea.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Its an awkward situation, which seems to have no easy option. I don't agree with calling the season null & void. It wouldn't be fair if Liverpool didn't win because they are clearly the best team in the Premiership this season - and it also wouldn't be fair for the teams in the relegation places if they were denied a chance to get out of them, or the teams looking for promotion from lower leagues. There are still quite a few games left and I can't see there being enough time to play all the matches though.

So what to do? If the games can't be played, how about taking the average for each team over their last 6 home matches and the average for their last away matches and then apply those figures to each team's remaining matches and awarding points accordingly? I suggest their recent results because that's an indication of current form, rather than to use their season long results. Some teams start well and then fade, whereas others get better as the season goes on. In early season many teams are bedding in brand new players.

Just an idea.

Says a Crystal Palace fan. Everyone's brilliant idea on what we should do here is firmly based on how it benefits their team - Karen Brady's 'independent' idea being a prime example.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think there are three options really.

1. Void the season, start again exactly as this season, next season.

2. Freeze positions as is ( or rather at the last completed round of matches) and award champions, promotion, relegation, European positions on the basis of those interim positions.

3. Complete the season when safe to do so. Minimise next season (eg no cups) if necessary due to late start.

All of these are bad options!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
All of these are bad options!

That's true, so it's about picking the least worst option.

Brady is obviously being selfish, but voiding the season may cause the minimum injustice and disruption.

Liverpool would be denied a nailed on championship, but most of the other promotion and relegation issues are still yet to be decided.

There may be one or two clubs marooned at the bottom of their leagues, but the rest of the clubs currently in promotion and relegation positions are from guaranteed their respective fates.

Thus the likes of Leeds cannot fairly say they will have been denied promotion, only the chance of it.

The clubs in a relegation position can fairly say they have been denied the chance to escape if current positions are taken as finishing positions.

I think I've decided voiding the season my cause the minimum of injustice, but it's far from clear cut.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
That's true, so it's about picking the least worst option.

Brady is obviously being selfish, but voiding the season may cause the minimum injustice and disruption.

Liverpool would be denied a nailed on championship, but most of the other promotion and relegation issues are still yet to be decided.

There may be one or two clubs marooned at the bottom of their leagues, but the rest of the clubs currently in promotion and relegation positions are from guaranteed their respective fates.

Thus the likes of Leeds cannot fairly say they will have been denied promotion, only the chance of it.

The clubs in a relegation position can fairly say they have been denied the chance to escape if current positions are taken as finishing positions.

I think I've decided voiding the season my cause the minimum of injustice, but it's far from clear cut.

I agree with you(!!)

Personally, I think they should extend the shutdown now until June, and not even think about what next until then.

This might get extremely bad in the interim, and there's absolutely no chance even best case of matches before end May.

Top Bottom